Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can remote control happens with closed lid?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:36 PM

Having Dell Inspiron i want to ask can you remotely boot from sleeping and control the laptop whitout opening it (the lid) Friend told me it cant happen with dells, but still want to know (i am talking about control from other computer, without physical access to the laptop)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

I would not have thought so, but to make sure it can't - or as it is put in Scots 'To mak assurance doubly siccar' - go into Control Panel and ensure that remote assistance is turned off,

'Win key+X - Control panel - System'. Then in the top left hand corner you will see 'Remote settings'. Click on this and the 'system properties' box will open at the 'Remote' tab. You will see a white box with 'Allow remote assistance . . ' at the side of it. Make sure that this box does NOT have a tick in it, click 'Apply' and close your way out.

NEVER tick this box unless you personally need access to another computer or you want a known person to access your computer.

And if you ever get a phonecall from a 'Microsoft Technician (!)' asklng you to turn on 'Remote access' be as rude or polite to them as you wish, but do NOT turn it on !  This can be seriously damaging to your computer and your bank account. An eldely acquaintance of mine had £UK 1500 taken from his bank account because of this.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

Continuing what Chris posted, yes, if the power option of "closed lid = does nothing" is set that way.  Because I travel from room to room quite a bit, I have that setting AND always put laptop into hibernate or shutdown, never sleep mode, before leaving any particular room.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 September 2016 - 02:36 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Chris thanks for your answer, thanks for the reply, i checked the tick and its not marked :) I belive it was not marked as default. I have this extreme fear that people have remote access over the machine (i am talking people i lived with, not some random malware from outhere), and since i've managed very important accounts and infromation on the same laptop the last few months , if someone accessed and touched around while i was not watching i can really end up being sued, since traces will lead to me not to the person that controled it remotely.

Roland thank you too, i couldn't get your point about sleeping though. I dont know the difference between hybernating and sleeping (i know that one shuts your machine and keeps the info in the hard, and the other keeps you in stand by, i just dont know the physical difference) Can you tell me how to check if my dell falls into sleep or hybernates then the lid is closed- although i am alsmost sure its just sleeping since thas usualy the default state when you close the lid.

Anyways once my lid is shut mouse lights and everything shuts black and i cant start it unless the lid is opened. So if on defaults falls asleep with closure of the lid, that still eliminates any remote possible with closed lid is it? And shall i switch to hybernate for better protection (again i am not sure right now if it is sleeping or hybernating when lid closes)

Edited by resertedlab, 13 September 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#5 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

I just checked from Control Panel-->Power Options-->Chose what close the lid does, whenever i press power button, sleep button (i never knew i have one) or close the lid, the latpo goes Sleep...

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Sleep means the laptop is trickle-powered, on just enough, to keep your place -- sort of like an "electronic bookmark".  Hibernate, like Shutdown powers the laptop off [no sleeping], right after it makes a hiberfil file that, when laptop's power button is pressed, will restore the previous hibernated Windows session, the present Windows session is exactly like the previous one.

I have every WakeOnLan, "wake on remote access attempt" off or disabled [in BIOS and in Windows].

I have Close Lid = does nothing.  That forces me to pick the ways I want Windows Session to end & laptop to power off. 

Just before leaving one room and going into another room - click on Start, click on right arrow [which is next to Shutdown], click on Hibernate -- and I wait until laptop has completely hibernated and powered off before placing in rolling backpack.

Somebody email me a dictionary <Charlie Brown sigh> - it's hibernate, not hybernate  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 13 September 2016 - 02:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

Ronald i have no hybernate or sleep option, do they appear once i chose Do nothing when lid is closed. I can however set it to hybernate when lid is closed, but not manualy i dont know way, maybe i dont support it. I dont also know how to access the BIOS, i try pressing F2 when dell starts but it goes on very quickly and nothing happens..

Edited by resertedlab, 13 September 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

I don't use laptops all that much, my primary computer is a desktop, but I never use sleep or hibernate if I can avoid it. But my wife's (Win 8.1) and a Club computer I am responsible for (Win 7) are both set to shutdown when the lid is closed. This is an advantage for the Club computer because at the end of an evening the Members can review the results while I am packing up everything else then all I need to do is shut the computer lid down and put it in the carrycase and head home.

These options are accessible through 'Control panel - Power options'. You may need to hunt around a bit, but they are there.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

Chris, your way also works very well!  I have always known there are several ways of doing similar things -- it all depends upon the environs, the needs, the wants of the end-users, clients, IT folks.   Quoting the king of Planet 51 cartoon movie "There are always alternatives."

#10 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for you full answers, i will definetly do some option changing on my mahcine now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users