Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble connecting to the internet using win xp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

Hi! I have trouble connecting to the internet. I recently reinstalled my computer's operating system to windows xp. I have a Pentium 3.06 Toshiba satellite a25-s3072. After installation, I noticed that  is not connected to the internet and there is no audio coming from the speaker. Please can anyone help me. thanks. awaiting your response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

First make sure your XP install is updated to SP3. Also update your IE to v8. If you current version of XP is SP1, 1a, or 2 you can install Sp3. If your current version of XP does not have a service pack you will need to download and install SP2 before SP3.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. If there are then right click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line for each device into your next post.

#3 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

Thank you for addressing my problem. I have installed SP3 and IEv8 on my system. Now here are the highlighted devices on my Device Manager.

HIGHLIGHTED OTHER DEVICES

Ethernet controller properties details
hard id:pci\VEN_168C&DEV_0012&SUBSYS_7005144F&REV_01

PCI Modem properties details
hard id:PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5457&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_00

VIDEO Controller (vga compatible) properties details
hard id:PCI\VEN_1023&DEV_8820&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_82

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

There were no drivers listed on the Toshiba support site for you model number. The site I go to find the correct driver is down right now. 

Are you sure the first device listed is Ethernet? From what I can tell that would be your Wifi device with an Atheros AR5001X chipset

Here is the driver. xp32-5.1.1.9.zip

https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-nr-143-for-atheros-AR5001X-and-WindowsXP.html

Click on the green Download Driver button. It will take a little bit before the download begins. It's best if you are using an ad blocker.  I'm still looking for the other two. 

Edit: Go your modem driver go here. Click on the green hard drive and provide a junk email address.

Edit Edit: For the Video driver go here. Click on the green hard drive and provide the same junk email address

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 September 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#5 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:09 AM

Hi JohnC_21! I downloaded wifi driver to my xp computer. At first, the system shut down the computer to prevent it from running windows. Later after several safe mode attempts, it running winxp normally running the atheros wifi driver. Later, when only the ethernet icon was on the status screen before the wifi driver was loaded, now it is reading the wifi available icon. I tried to connect but it is not talking to the driver. I can see the available wireless connections but it is not connecting. I also clicked on the driver for pci modem and it gave me a driveridentifier program where I have to connected to the internet to download and I can't if the wifi driver is not talking to the computer. Same thjing with the video driver. It goes to this website driveridentifier.com, but the same thing, I have to be connected to the internet in able to download the driver. Please let me know what else can be done. Again, I appreciate all you have done to get my computer working to connect to the internet. Many thanks, and I'll see you later. Bye!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Do not download any driver identifier program. If you click on the little hard drive icon and provide an email address you should get a zip file of the driver.

Can you connect to the internet by connecting a Ethernet cable directly to your modem or router?

When you see the available Wifi connection have you provided the correct password to connect?

#7 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

Hi JohnC_21

It has been awhile since I emailed you about my problem. I did everything you suggested and have wireless connection established. My problem is I forgot to upgrade my current internet explorer version 6. I went to the microsoft website but I can't download the internet explorer unless it is running on win 7 or 8 or later. Also, in internet explorer 6, the browser is stating that it can't find the server. Also there is no sound on my win xp computer. Hope you can help.

thanks.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:14 PM

You can download IE8 for XP here.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_internet_explorer_8_for_xp.html

In order to get updates you should also download and install the latest XP update agent.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334

#9 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hi JohnC_21! I have upgraded to IE8 but I am still having problems not having sound on my computer. Please help.

thanks. bye!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your sound device in Device Manager? In any case right click the sound device in Device Manager and select properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users