Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power down sound when computer is on

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 igorl53

igorl53

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hello,

I've installed an SSD a few days ago, which is now working along with my HDD.

Today my PC started to make a noise as if it's shutting down from time to time, while it's still working. I believe it may come from the PSU. My specs are:

AsRock H81 Pro BTC
Intel Pentium G3258
8GB RAM Geil 1600MHz
MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB
HDD Toshiba 1TB DT01ACA100

SSD Goodram 120GB
CHIEFTEC GPA-400S8 400W ATX

The noise resambles a loud click - I don't know how to explain it (I may be able to record it, though I think it's pretty standard sound for most computers powering down). Oddly, when I used to power off, my fans would stop working immediately with that sound. Once I installed an SSD, they stop working after ~3 seconds.

Also, from time to time my HDD makes a startup noise while the system has already been working for several minutes.

P.S. I just restored BIOS settings and haven't heard these sounds yet, but I'll keep observing (Edit: no, they're still present). I'd like to know, why would my PC even start to act so strangely (I didn't change anything BIOS or system related before it started. Only installed a few programs, like a PDF reader).

Edited by igorl53, 13 September 2016 - 02:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:35 PM

Im assuming you have your OS installed on your SSD correct? in which case, that sound is most likely just your hard drive engaging and disengaging. Before, when the HDD was your primary drive, it was likely constantly in use-(or moreso then now) so your OS kept it running constantly for performance. Now, that your OS is on your SSD, it no longer needs to keep the HDD powered up-so it shuts it down when not in use, and when the system needs to access something on it, it powers it back up to access whatever information it needs to. You can run a hard drive diagnostic tool on it if you want, but I suspect that is the case.

As far as your fans not shutting down immediatly, not unusual, I would not lose any sleep over that. my fans (most of them have LEDs) do the same thing.

if you want to run a hard drive diagnostic, the utility for your toshiba drive can be found at the following link 

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/product/storage-products.html

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:57 PM

I'm not a fan of these new "start stop" technologies.   Too many things to go wrong.  You should be able to make sound adjustments from the control panel.

#4 igorl53

igorl53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:05 AM

Well, I indentified the sound as strictly made by HDD. It's not connected with the PSU.

@the_patriot11 Well, it adds up, but why would is start after 4 days of working with SSD? Before it was not doing these sound and it already was a secondary drive (I'd have noticed).

It's also present when I boot from a pendrive, whereas I believe it wasn't doing that before(?).

@mjd420nova It's the drive in the case itself making these noises, not Windows

Edited by igorl53, 16 September 2016 - 03:10 AM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

igor, the drive is making the noises-but Windows, is controlling when it powers up and powers down, and windows, is also the most likely scenario as to why it took four days, it sometimes takes a bit to figure the hardware out. In any case, you should be able to go into your settings, and power management, when you go to power plans create custom plan...you should be able to adjust whether or not you want it to do that, and/or how much.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 igorl53

igorl53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:12 AM

You mean one of the first settings that pop up? 'Turn this drive off after X minutes of inactivity'? Tried that, didn't work. Is there any other?

Edited by igorl53, 17 September 2016 - 02:12 AM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

Did you make sure you had the correct drive selected?

picard5.jpg

#8 igorl53

igorl53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

I didn't see an option to select drive. I'll check once again when I get back home on monday

Edited by igorl53, 17 September 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

it may or maynot be under advanced options, may not exist-the combination of SSD and HDD may have confused windows, wouldnt be the first time. Wouldnt hurt to download and run that diagnostic tool i linked to, to make sure the drive isnt malfunctioning.

picard5.jpg

#10 igorl53

igorl53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Wouldnt hurt to download and run that diagnostic tool i linked to, to make sure the drive isnt malfunctioning.

I tried looking on the website you posted, but I can't seem to find Toshiba diagnostic tool download anywhere.

I disconnected the SSD and installed Windows 10 on the HDD. The off/on sounds seem to have stopped(!).

It's probably related to power management. I checked the power management settings before and there is no option to select a drive when setting 'Turn off drive after X minutes' option.

Or, could it still be the power supply (2 SATA drives plugged in = power problem?)?

What can I do to prevent my PC from shutting down my HDD when my system is on SSD?

Edited by igorl53, 20 September 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#11 igorl53

igorl53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

I think I've finally solved this mistery.

First off all, as to why HDD started behaving like this after few days of NOT going into power suspend mode. I've been downloading GB's of games from Steam, Origin etc. once I've set up my computer. Since they were being saved to the HDD, it kept the drive busy, which prevented it from powering down. Once I stopped downloading, that's pretty much when the on/off cycles began. It's just like the_patriot11 described in the first reply, only the downloading part misled me.

Now, my Toshiba HDD must have some kind of a built-in power management mode. Since the drive became a secondary one (the OS kept it from suspending before I had my SSD), it began entering this power management mode (Windows power options don't affect the drive at all. I even tried setting the power management option to 600 mins, which allegedly helped someone other on the Internet, to no avail).

The only things I know to prevent drive from powering off and on again were:

1) keeping the drive busy - e.g. by program KeepAliveHD

2) disabling HDD's APM mode by CrystalDiscInfo

I've yet to check if the APM setting is saved once I reset (edit: it resets unless you set CDI to start on boot & turn on auto APM), but for now it's been an hour without HDD shutting down. Happily, seems like the drive is not faulty after all.

Edited by igorl53, 20 September 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

I would just let it shut down, will increase the life of the drive. Though, if it really bothers you and windows wont let you disable that feature-just tell steam to download everything automatically to the second drive. :D

picard5.jpg

#13 igorl53

igorl53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:53 AM

I'll think about letting it shut itself down, but the 'click' sound it makes when it powers off is really annoying to me (some other drives make a less annoying one I believe). Plus, the split second delays before gaining access to the drive are annoying as well.
It works just fine using the CrystalDiscInfo trick I mentioned.

Thank you very much for your help & contribution to solving this problem.

Edited by igorl53, 21 September 2016 - 01:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users