Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unique Situation.Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 freemindG

freemindG

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

my friends daughter has autism ( i think ) and she like to delete system files from her computer.

she finds ways to erase registry files, etc...

other than that, she plays a few games and goes on the internet.

I am not too familiar with the layout of windows ten and how to go about securing/blocking access to the drives etc..

her mother wants me to block access to everything other then the net and simple games...like candy crush etc..

If i block the c drive, will it prevent her from playing games or surfing the net?

don't know if blocking access to drives is what im looking to do here..

Would that also block access to windows folders/ and registry files?

if i blocked this, Would the security suite i have installed ( advanced system care ) be blocked as well?

would the registry be accessible through the security suite?

I am in a unique situation where I am trying to block the admin/ or possibly non admin from having access to their own computer...

I need all the advice I can get on this one.

Edited by freemindG, 12 September 2016 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dono2

Dono2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

Just how good is your friends daughter at getting at files?

Could you just create a 2nd account for her with limited access?

Then, when needed, you or your friend could log in as a different user with admin rights to add/remove applications etc.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

I tried blocking my kids' and they quickly found ways around it.

If you want to maintain things, I'd suggest that you clone a good copy of the OS to an external drive.

Then, when the problem returns, you can re-image the hard drive.

Also, after the re-image, update the system and create another (updated) image for next time

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:54 AM

Dono2 has the answer.  Create another account.  Make the new account an Administrator and then demote the daughter's account to standard user.  This will prevent her from being able to do many destructive things.  This will also prevent her from installing things so that is a possible downside, someone will have to provide the admin account and password.  Normally other than installing new software there aren't any major issues.  I run my media machine this way so you can watch and stream movies, but are very limited on what you can change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users