Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen with moveable mouse pointer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hchadwick1

hchadwick1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hi 

I have a problem with my laptop running windows 7 home premium.

After the windows logo i get a black desktop with moveable mouse pointer.

Nothing else.

I dont have the original cd and any iso's i try to put to a usb dont do anything

I cannot start in safe mode, last known config etc

I have downloaded kaspersky rescue disk 10 but it wont scan due to malfunction

I cant do a system repair

Am at a total loss here

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in anticipation

Howard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

Do you have access to another Windows 7 computer to create a System Repair Disk? What is the make and model of the computer? 

#3 hchadwick1

hchadwick1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

yes i do the laptop is a toshiba satellite c660/c660D

problem is i dont have access to a home premium 64bit pc/laptop

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

You may have a chance to get the computer to boot by copying the registry hives in C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback  to C:\Windows\System32\config\  if the dates on the registry hives are before the problem occured.

What computer are you currently posting from, is it Windows 8 or 10? I ask this because you will need to create a bootable live linux disk in order to copy the registry hives.

If the factory reset partition is intact you could do a factory reset but you would need to reinstall all your programs and update Windows 7 after the reset. You would also need to back up any personal data before doing the reset. 

#5 hchadwick1

hchadwick1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

I have downloaded the iso : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

I have copied this to a usb

I start the laptup and  I get the message "hit any key to start from usb"

I get "windows is loading files"

then "Starting Windows" with logo

then back to black screen with arrow cursor

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

@hchadwick1

Just a thought... Make sure to disconnect any external devices (printers, scanners, usb mouse etc.) If the laptop has a sd card reader, make sure it is empty also.

The only device(s) you want plugged into your computer besides the power brick is the USB Device you are installing from.

It's been awhile but if I remember correctly the recovery partition (if intact) is accessible following this sequence.

1. Turn the computer completely off.

2. Remove the USB installation device.

3. Now, holding the ZERO key and pressing the Start button should bring up a menu of options.

4.  Make your choice from that menu to recover your system.

Best regards and Please keep the BC community posted!

Old Rocker

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

I have downloaded the iso : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

I have copied this to a usb

I start the laptup and  I get the message "hit any key to start from usb"

I get "windows is loading files"

then "Starting Windows" with logo

then back to black screen with arrow cursor

It sounds like the hard drive is your first boot device and bypassing the optical drive. Make sure your Optical drive is the first boot device. Tap F12 at boot and select your DVD.

https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?soid=403623

#8 hchadwick1

hchadwick1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

managed to get it to boot to cd

goes to windows is loading files for approx 30 seconds

then on to starting windows>logo

then back to black screen with moveable cursor again

I am sorely tempted to use my disk partition wizard to get my personal files off the system

and re-install windows but how can I when i cant boot from a secondary device ?????

any help would be greatly appreciated as are the previous posts....thank you

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

You can use a live linux disk to recover data from the drive. Download UBCD and burn the iso. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. Use this guide to recover your files to an external hard drive. Hopefully you do not get the black screen with Parted Magic.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

After recovering all your files including and browser bookmarks use the method posted by OldRocker to factory reset. This will work if the factory partition is intact.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

What John is referring to is changing the boot order in the BIOS.  

If you are booting from a flash drive you need to make the first device in the boot order a USB device, the second device should be your hdd.

If you are booting from a disc, you need to make the optical drive the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device.

If you have this on a disc do the following.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 hchadwick1

hchadwick1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

Im not getting the prompt screens .. it appears to read from the cd/dvd but then returns to the black screen.

One thing I have notice whilst copying off data using disk partition tool is my system disk is status :Active and Boot" and my windows is "System" - is that correct.

One last thing as I am browsing my folder "desktop.ini" appears to be everywhere - is this normal - cos i read about this being a virus once

thanks in anticipation

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

Desktop.ini is normal. It is a hidden file. Your program is showing the file. If you have trouble with the DVD you can use the iso of Windows 7 with Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Attach the flash drive and tap F12 while booting. Use a MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click on the icon, and browse to the iso of Windows 7. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#13 hchadwick1

hchadwick1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:42 AM

hi - still struggling here as any boot iso i have created does seem to run

but I cant get to the repair or even re-install screen(s)

have copied my data off so thats a bonus

any help as always would be truly appreciated

#14 hchadwick1

hchadwick1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:54 AM

Just wondered if my partitions are part of my problem (see attached) ??

Attached Files

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

One last thing as I am browsing my folder "desktop.ini" appears to be everywhere - is this normal - cos i read about this being a virus once

thanks in anticipation

This file is normally hidden.  If you are seeing it you can open the Control Panel, select File Explorer Options, click/tap on the View tab, place a check in the box for Hide protected operating system files (Recomended).

Once this is done you should not see this again.  The virus, as I understand it, is detected and dealt with when it is scanned by a antivirus or antimalware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users