Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't open programmes after Avast reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrJackson

MrJackson

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

Hi all,

I got back from my hols today, after 3 weeks in the sun, switched on the PC and was working away quite happily. A pop-up informed me that Avast needed to re-boot my PC, and after postponing it a couple of times, I let it do its thing.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anything else done. Windows opens, my wallpaper comes up, as do my icons...but clicking on them just hangs the machine (ie. the hourglass comes up, and I can move the cursor around the screen, but nothing else happens. No error messages, and I've left it for a good half an hour to decide what it wants to do, but nothing.

Ctrl, Alt, Del brings up Task Manager, but clicking on anything doesn't have any effect either, not even allowing it to be shut down. It does tell me -  Task Manager(Not Responding).

I managed to bring up the System Restore facility, but when it does its thing, I end up with my wallpaper but no icons. I read somewhere to bring up the Run command and type explorer.exe, but that again just hangs the machine, the hourglass sitting there.

It's WIn XP SP3 Home, and I was using Firefox at the time it decided it needed to reboot. Having tried looking around for ideas on my phone, I found quite a bit of vitriol regarding Avast and this Safe Zone Browser thing, which lo and behold, has now appeared on my programme list, so I'm kinda suspicious about it already.

I knew I shouldn't have left that beach to try and earn an honest living, this is where it gets me....

Thanks for looking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:56 PM

What if you booted to Safe Mode and then uninstalled avast? Sometimes avast can mess with Safe Mode. If I can remember correctly it was actually using Safe Mode for the NG component which they have no abandoned in favor of scanning in the cloud. Some people complained it deleted all their restore points. 

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=171681.0

#3 MrJackson

MrJackson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

Wha-hey, it worked, well done that man.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

Glad that worked for you. Thanks for posting an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users