Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with USB not being recognized.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lady_Yume27

Lady_Yume27

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

I have a Sony 16GB USB that suddenly isn't being recognized anymore by both my laptop and computer. The light comes on when it is in the port, but the "not recognized" message pops up.

It's not recognized in Device Manager - Disk Drives, but is seen under Universal Serial Bus Controllers under "unknown device".

All drivers are up to date. I tried disabling and re-installing. 

Device status is "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

I don't care about the USB working itself, but is there anyway I can get the files off of the USB?

Thank you very much for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Open Disk Management with the flash drive attached. Is the drive listed as RAW or not initialized?

Right Click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

#3 Lady_Yume27

Lady_Yume27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

It's not listed in Disk Management.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,428 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:35 PM

If that is the case and it's not listed in disk management on either computer then I believe the flash drive has failed. If the data is critical you would need to consult a professional data recovery service which is expensive. Drivesavers is one of the better ones.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

You can also verify if Windows sees the USB flash drive using diskpart. With the drive attached type CMD in the search box to open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart     -     Will open up the diskpart command prompt.

list disk      -      Will list all disks attached to the computer.

#5 Lady_Yume27

Lady_Yume27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

Diskpart only shows the hard drive disk. 

Ah, that's really disappointing, I wonder what happened to this USB...

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge! I guess I need to figure out if the bit of data on here is worth a payout! (T____T)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,428 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

No problem. If diskpart shows only the hard drive on both computers then I would be pretty confident the drive has failed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users