Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 15 laptop touchpad not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys, the owner brought this unit with the touchpad stopped working, I did a factory reset and updated the Touchpad software in the DM but same deal, what else can I try please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

I would say it was a hardware problem. Depending on how easy it is to remove the top plate of the computer you can see if the ribbon cable to the touchpad or keyboard is securely attached. 

In addition to the above boot a live linux disk and see if you have a touchpad. If not then I would say it's hardware requiring a new touchpad/topplate of the computer.

Make sure the touchpad is enabled either from the function key or it could be a small button just above the touchpad with a small light indicating if the touchpad is on or off.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

This system simply won't load a linux, The owner said it's no problem for him to use an external mouse so I'm not going to open it. I am not seeing any options to enable touchpad.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

You may need to enable Legacy Boot and disable SecureBoot in order for the linux disk to boot. On a HP tap F9 at boot and it will give you a boot menu with the option to boot Legacy.

What is the model number of the HP15? Looks like there is not on/off switch on the latest HP notebooks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/disable-touch-pad-HP-ENVY-15t-j000/td-p/2997369

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned I did disable legacy and tried from both the internal and an external drive and with 3 linux disks. The linux "runs" but doesn't open up the interface. Model is 15-1272wm

Edited by mystic12, 12 September 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

You actually want to enable Legacy Boot. It could also be called CSM boot. I'm not sure why linux failed to boot though. Was linux on a disk or USB flash drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users