Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme slow download using vpn. WHY.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 diggiedo

diggiedo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

i,m only getting 5 mbs using vpn server my regular connection through my internet provider i,m getting 97 mbs i,m not sure what to think about that one. m i missing. something any help would be great ty. i,m using ip vanish.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

A VPN is a virtual private network. Think of it like your own special driveway that is tunneled through the internet. How fast you can go through that tunnel depends how wide it is, and the speed limit. With VPN the speed depends on how the VPN is set up and the equipment that run it. Are you connecting to a work VPN server? Or are you trying to run a VPN server at your house for file sharing? The main question is if other users who use the VPN also get a slow connection. If so, it may be by design.

PS. Are you talking about this VPN? If so, how did you get it to work if it didn't support your operating system(OS)? If so, is it running on the computer with the bad hard drive?

Edited by Trikein, 12 September 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#3 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

I'm using at home I'm running windows 10 64 bit it connect good just don't understand how to get a faster speed while using it.it has different options like open vpn.nt something pttp.is the one I,m using because when I try to connect using open vpn it wont connect it will only connect using the pttp option.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Considering your operating system isn't supported, I am not surprised. Do you have compression enabled? Can you tell us anything about how it's configured?  

#5 diggiedo

diggiedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

Not sure my active protocol l,m using is pptp I I don't understand what you mean it wont run on windows 10 runs great just trying to figure out what's up with the speed not excatcly sure how to configure it better.I ran a intensive scan on my hardware an everything is great no hard drive problems or any other problems.
Not sure my active protocol l,m using is pptp I I don't understand what you mean it wont run on windows 10 runs great just trying to figure out what's up with the speed not excatcly sure how to configure it better.I ran a intensive scan on my hardware an everything is great no hard drive problems or any other problems.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

"using vpn server"

Not only do you have a bandwidth issue getting to the vpn server but you also have to consider that servers load AND what its SHARED bandwidth to the internet is.

See if you can find a vpn server closer to you as well as one that might not be overloaded.

#7 Enzix

Enzix

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:23 PM

Keep in mind that the speed depends on the protocol you are using, distance between you and the server you are connecting, how loaded the server is, your internet connection and so on.

As PPTP has lower encryption than other protocols such as OpenVPN and L2TP it should give you better speed than the two protocols.

Please consider that, as you are using IPVanish, other people are connected to the same server and using its bandwidth which can result in low speed.

You may try to use OpenVPN-UDP protocol (if the VPN provider supports it) which will give you better speed and test out a few different VPN servers.

Other than that there is not much you can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users