Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection from a 'friendly hacking?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andromeda9

andromeda9

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hi,

I live in a large extended family. I'm the oldest and retired, then there is Mum and Dad and the family plus computers....

Even though I'm the oldest, and not so bright, I'm ok with computers having had an IT support role about 15 years ago. I think I'm more aware than Mum or Dad/ other family members of problems that get caused by viruses, hacking etc and also by going onto the dark side of the web.

A close family friend, and a nice guy 'Adrian' , who visits fairly frequently, is getting interested in hacking. I believe he is using a Ubuntu partition to do this, which seems to have been done on the computer belonging to Mum's daughter 'Beth'.  I also think (but unknown to me) that he has already tried out some software to demonstrate what can simply be done.

Basically, I'm slightly concerned about him changing stuff, or doing stuff, and affecting our security without us all understanding implications of what he's doing.

My impression, is that if I raised this issue, people will look upon the issue as a bit of harmless fun, and a method for him to learn about such stuff.  I am not trying to get him in trouble, or pretend I know more than him - because I probably don't -  I just want to ensure we are safe. Overcautious perhaps, but I believe I am the only one interested in keeping things safe!

I ensure I look after the family's router, backing up, general issues, and assisting them when needed. I am the only one with the admin password to the router - which is a fairly reasonable/configurable Vigor model.

At the moment Mum or Dad and Beth give out Wifi codes when asked, e.g. to friends who pop round, and rely on Beth for remembering passwords, because essentially they are too busy and are not interested in computers or security issues like remembering passwords. (e.g. It has taken 3 years to get them to change their email passwords to a point whhere they were not hacked every 9 months)

Obviously this is a more 'people problem' than a 'tech problem', and is a delicate situation, but I want to protect the family (including Beth) if possible without anyone realising.

I've backed up everyone's laptops on portable usb drives and them locked away. The Wifi router is still secure. But of course I want to safeguard the 'in-use' computers such as my Windows 10 Pro  PC, and the family Windows 7 and Vista laptops from live hacking, and be sure that both PC's and network remains hack proof .

So even if no one in the family is actually interested, I would like to know what steps I should/could quietly take to secure the computers in a way which would make it difficult or impossible for any hacker with acccess to the computer, our local network or Internet to get into them. I guess using typical Linux or other methods 'out there'. I do realise too that nothing is perfect in life or foolproof, or secure, but I would be interested in any advice, guides or websites to help me, or sources of well known and relible software solutions.

I realise too it is a matter of perspective, because whilst I really don't want our computers or network to be accidentally weakened by his modifying the computers using commands, software or settings, I actually wonder whether there would be any 'white' registry hacks or group policy things etc available for me, which might ensure our home computers to remain a no-go area.. :blush:  How ironic is that!

A9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

Are you trying to stop him from using Ubuntu on a system or restrict what they can do when using it? Are you worried the machine will get hurt, or that you will get in trouble by the ISP (or someone else) for what he does? I don't think you are going to be able to resolve this without some kind of confrontation. 

#3 andromeda9

andromeda9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

Are you trying to stop him from using Ubuntu on a system or restrict what they can do when using it? Are you worried the machine will get hurt, or that you will get in trouble by the ISP (or someone else) for what he does? I don't think you are going to be able to resolve this without some kind of confrontation

Hi Trikein,

Thanks for responding.

I agree with you that it probably will need that confrontation, probably sooner than later as well.

However at the moment I am not sure if now that he's made his first 'foray' into this area and impressed Beth, that will be all and he will stop.

I run with Windows 10 Pro, Malwarebytes Pro, and usually just Defender most of the time. But I do not believe they are sufficient to prevent or detect 'intrusion stuff' which I assume some of the hacking stuff does.

So I was hoping to find a forum here which might help me harden up (at least) my system fairly quickly. At least I also have access to be able to change access points and router internals, as needed.

Hope that helps.

A9

Edited by andromeda9, 12 September 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

Best security would be to ban Adrian and tell him to nick off mate.

Create a task that will do something funny like turn the volume to max and play an alert sound (You can do all this in a batchfile) thats driven by an event IE(Change of password or something else).

Another thing, make sure all the accounts on the PC are normal users with no administrative rights, enable UAC if disabl;ed and change the admin password.

He tries anything with out an escalation exploit it will prompt for password. Password protect the HDD and boot so he cannot even change the boot mode with out the bios password.

Unless he is trying to access the SAM on the windows partition.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 13 September 2016 - 12:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users