Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extreme lag since HDD wipe and reinstall, disk errors in Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:50 AM

Hello everyone! I hope someone can help me out because I'm desperate.

A few days ago my boyfriend wiped his old pc to do a fresh install of windows 10. He had a full format of the hard drive done, which took about 16 hours to complete.

The pc used to run smoothly on windows 7, start up time was a bit slow but understandably so as it is a relatively old pc (4 years). However, once she was running, she was fine.

Then windows 10 was installed from a windows .iso, fully legal. The same .iso has been used on a different (new) pc as well and it runs absolutely fine.

However, the old pc is slow to the point of being unusable. Start up times are OK, but once running it takes minutes to respond to any action.

Other than the insane slowdown, a few of the more specific symptoms are as follows:

- 100% disk usage at most times for no apparent reason
- unable to update or install drivers correctly from within windows 10
- a continuous log of errors in the Windows Event Viewer (specified as eventID 7, source: disk, details below)
- a user called 'defaultuser0' that we didn'the create
- runs fine in safe mode from what we can tell

Details of the disk error in Event Viewer:
(These errors have been registered every 3 seconds or so which suggests some major issue.)
Info under General tab:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
Log name: System
Source: disk
Event ID: 7
Level: Error
Task category: None
Keywords: Classic

Among the many disk errors are some recurring errors as follows:
General tab info:
Log name: Microsoft-Windows-AppReadiness/Admin
Source: AppReadiness
EventID: 214
Level: Error
User: System
Task Category: (1)
Keywords: (2)

Message: 'MicrosoftWindowsAlarms_xxxx' install failed for User. Error: 'Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.'

These errors recur every 2 minutes or so.

Now the system runs fine in safe mode, no slows or lagging. The slowdowns also seem irregular, since sometimes it runs okay for a few seconds then slows down to become unusable again.

Fixes that were already attempted:
-Disabling Superfetch, and a couple of other services
-Disabling MSI mode (which took some fiddling with hard drive settings in the BIOS, also doesn't bode well)
-Various other methods found on Google

Now it seems like a hard drive failure in some ways but at the same time, it hasn'the had any such symptoms before the clean install, safe mode runs fine and ironically it seems that navigating folders and files (what little the is) is quicker than most other actions in the Windows start menu etc).

Can anyone help me figure out how to make this work? Worst case scenario I'll try downgrading to windows 7 which it ran fine.
Sidenote: it has already run Windows 10 for a little while before (upgrade from 7, not clean install), and it was fine so the system has run Windows 10 before.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:29 AM

I found some more errors in the Event Viewer which I've not listed yet. The errors start right from the install.

I'very now run chkdsk as well and no errors were found, which really makes it worse because I don'the have a clue where to even start with this issue.

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 12 September 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

Run a hard drive diagnostic tool called Seatools for Windows and do the short/long test.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seatools+for+windows&btnI

How to use Seatools for Windows

If the drive tests okay then do a "clean boot". Enable services and startup items a few at a time and until there is a slowdown. 

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/41804-clean-boot-perform-windows-10-troubleshoot-software-conflicts.html

#4 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

I've just done the clean boot part of that (I ran command prompt chkdsk to scan for failures/bad sectors but it came up with no issues found, might still be worth running the seagate tool though, the hard drive is seagate), and discovered that the troublemaker is a service called App Readiness. This seems to have caused the major issues in the list - massive lag and 100% disk usage. I'm still worried about why it has this effect though, since almost no one else seems to have similar issues with this particular service. 

At least it finally successfully installed a couple of updates, though there's still a long list of updates that failed and should be installed again.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

I am not that familiar with Windows 10. Not sure why your updates have failed.  Have you done a sfc /scannow to check for any missing or corrupt system files?

#6 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

It says it's clean so I'm mystified at this point..

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

This may help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/app-readiness-service-question/8da503ff-1880-453b-b6fa-f6f92f9c3a42?auth=1

From RizwanPasha on Microsoft's Answers site:

As I have mentioned in my previous post App Readiness service, gets apps ready for use the first time a user signs in to this PC and when adding new apps. which means after updates if there are any large size of apps or updates installing it usually slow downs the computer after reboot.
You may try the following steps to change the Startup type to Automatic or manual if it is set to Automatic (Delayed Start) and check of it helps:
1. Press Windows key + X key together on the keyboard.
2. Click on "Run".
3. In the Run command search box, type services.msc and click no OK.
4. Services windows open.
5. In the Services Windows locate App readiness and right click on it.
6. Select Properties.
7. In the App Readiness properties window check if the Startup type is set to manual or Automatic.
8. If the Startup type is set to Automatic (Delayed Start) change it to manual or Automatic by choosing from the drop down menu.
9. Click on Apply and OK.
10. Now check if the computer boots fast with App Readiness service enabled.

#8 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

As soon as AppReadiness is enabled in any way, the pc starts displaying the same symptoms I mentioned before: sudden freezing, extremely slow, lag in response, etc.
So unfortunately, turning it back on seems like a bad idea. It has to be turned off to keep the pc functional, however it shouldn'the have this issue in the first place 😔

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:18 AM

Did you run Seatools as requested in my post #3

#10 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

I did, no errors found from what I can see, same with chkdsk and sfc scannow.

Only one program found an error, easeUS partition master, only 2 bad sectors on the full 2TB hard drive though and not detected by Seatools or chkdsk.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

The other test you may want to do is Memtest+86. Run it for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. The tool is available on the UBCD. Burn the iso file to disk by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Memtest+86 is available under the Memory Menu.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#12 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

After having gotten annoyed with it, I've decided to just do a full reset/reinstall which seems to have fixed the issue!

No more disk errors in the event viewer, and AppReadiness is running steadily without causing issues. I'm not sure why it caused them initially but it seems that somewhere during the install something went wrong and got corrupted.

It's probably wise to do a thorough scan of the hard drive in case something was wrong with it.

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 13 September 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#13 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

The only thing that is unfortunate enough to remain is the failedge install of any windows updates. The updates of Adobe Flash and windows malware removal software are fine, but the cumulative updates to windows 10 itself refuse to be installed.

This problem has now occurred with both the KB3176938 update and KB3189866 update.

We've tried trouble shooting, deleting the updates folder and downloading the update manually (for some reason it won't let me 'view my basket' in the Windows update catalog so I can't checkout), but no luck so far. So, the major issue is gone, update issue remains?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users