Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Growing Interest In Wall-socket Net Access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

With much fanfare, AT&T and PG&E announced in the summer of 2004 that they were teaming up to test technology for broadband Internet access over ordinary power lines -- plug into a wall socket and you're online....

by David Lazarus, Friday, August 18, 2006, San Francisco Chronicle

...So where are we now? With high-speed Internet access rapidly becoming a choice between only two providers -- phone and cable companies -- is there any hope that competition can be increased via utility-sponsored BPL service to people's homes?

Possibly.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fugazi

Fugazi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

I heard about this. I believe it will happen someday and become a run of the mill type of thing...but not for awhile.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:37 AM

Yes. I read about this a couple of weeks ago. Won't it be absolutely marvellous if it goes ahead? Set up your modem or router, plug into a wall socket, and away you go.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:24 PM

I've looked at this for a while. I made a post HEREat BC with some info. I was looking with some friends as an investment op,the carrier,chip and modem mfr's. It still doesn't address the interference drawback. It's bandwith is all over HAM radio. Also I remember something about the radio waves (as that's what it is) bouncing all around the world and possible major interference from this. The interference is (noise,I believe) pollution. SeeTHIS part of earlier link. Unless they address this interference, I feel they're going to have trouble with it. It has it's good points and is an excellent technology. It will be cheaper to operate most of the equipment already exists. Maybe with Google and IBM pumping $$ into it it will be worked out. I have faith in it aside from my concerns. And it was a reason why we purchased some goog stock ad a few others we hope will take off. I have most of my faith in Yankee ingenuity. We rated it with early MSFT and Apple's intro of the IPOD.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Sorry to double post,but felt it better than an editnow.
My friend just emailed me this from an FCC report showing interference improvements.

How can we avoid interference from a system that will traverse so many locations? The “spread spectrum” and “multiple carrier” techniques used in proposed BPL systems employ modulation that spectrally resembles noise and can employ system architectures capable of minimizing radiated interference. The multiple carriers can be controlled in amplitude, turned on and off, or “notched” to remove energy radiating at specific frequencies. Typical Access BPL frequencies start above AM radio (1.7 MHz) and end just below FM radio (up to 80 MHz). Usually the entire available range is not used—the upper frequency is typically less than 50 MHz. There are many licensed, incumbent services that must be protected in this frequency range, including:

Amateur Radio – 1.8 – 54 MHz

Short-wave radio – 5.9 – 26.1 MHz

CB Radio – 26.96- 27.41 MHz

TV Channels 2-6

Public Safety bands

Federal Government bands

Aeronautical Stations

Coast Guard Stations

Radio Astronomy Stations

Review of FCC Report & Order 04-245
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:02 AM

If it were possible it would probably spell the end of the fixed phone as it is since mostly it is for the Internet that one has a fixed phone now.
everyday is a gift

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

This is so awsome, just find a plug and you are conencted...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users