Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Hijacks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:52 AM

Just wanted to pass on these 2 sites that will Hijack your Browser, and Freeze everything to the point that You have to use Task Mgr. to Close Chrome completely to get rid of them. I use Malwarebytes Anti-exploit and Glasswire, plus AB+ (which I have entered these addresses, unfortunately "they" use several extensions.)

When I researched these sites, No Certificates, No Seals of Trust, No BBB, and Contact Us FAILS to submit..-->.installthesoftware.com, & downloadsoftware.com

They tell You Your FLASH Player needs updated is the messages I received. Mine are Fine...but to the untrained internet user this could be a Train wreck.

Wish I could find a way to turn them into the Feds for investigation.

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2016 - 10:28 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:37 AM

Rogue software vendors are the scourge of the internet in my opinion.

Are these sites safe to look at provided I don't click on anything?....I wouldn't mind taking a look so that I can give my AV's a test....see if they pick anything up! 

Edited by robby501, 12 September 2016 - 04:37 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:48 AM

VirusTotal has the latter of the two sites down as being clean. Didn't click anything on the page, though. The ball in the middle go swole as I hovvered my arrow over it, but obviously common sense dictated to me that I shouldn't click on it.

Hopefully some of the BC staff will look into this pretty soon. They'll certainly be far more equipped and capable than me in giving an accurate evaluation of the situation regarding these 2 sites.

Edited by robby501, 12 September 2016 - 04:49 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users