Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compact flash card does not show up in Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dssrocks

Dssrocks

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:49 AM

Hello I am new here and looking to backup a CF card that will not show up in Windows. This is most likely due to copy protection of some sort. Disk manager also does not recognize the card. Any suggestions on how I can try to make a copy of this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

I think it was JohnC in another thread that gave a way to prepare a usb storage device for usage by Windows.  That post just might work for your situation. He mentioned MiniTool Partition Wizard free version.  If I find that post, I'll link it in this thread.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Dssrocks

Dssrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerned this may make the CF card unreadable in the device as I would think writing anything to it could mess it up. If I could only find a way to back it up in its original state without writing anything to it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

You are trying to recover data from the CF card, correct? Do you know what files system is on the card or how it was formatted? What kind of data is on the card? Is it mostly image files and how big is the card?

Edit: In Disk Management is the card listed as RAW or simply not detected?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 September 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#5 Dssrocks

Dssrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hello, I'm trying to copy te card as a backup. I am not sure of what file system is on it or how it was formatted. That is basically my question/dilemma. As this card has commercial software I assume it is not easily backed up due to a copy protection of some type. I just thought I would try this forum to try and get some expert advice on a way to bypass this and clone the card. Hope this makes sense?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Because Windows does not recognize the disk the only thing I can think of to create a disk image is using clonezilla (linux based) on a live cd and hope it detects your CF card when attached to the computer. You could also go with a device to device clone if you have two CF slots. You would need to do a sector by sector clone if clonezilla detects the devices. 

It has a learning curve so it may be wise to read the guide first. There are also videos on youtube.

If you had a computer with two CF card slots you could also use a command called dd but this command can be dangerous if not done properly. For instance if one CF card was sdc and the other was sdd the command would be

dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdd

I would advise you ask any questions regarding this in the linux forum. Advisors there would be able to provide detailed instructions.

#7 Dssrocks

Dssrocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:25 PM

Thanks again for the reply. Tried clonezilla and it is giving repeated I/o errors trying to read. The odd thing is the light on my internal PC CF card reader or my external USB card reader just blinks calgary nstantky when the CF card is inserted like it is trying to access data. It does not do this when any other CF card is inserted. Maybe a lost cause?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

Did you select Expert mode on Clonezilla  and select sector by sector? Other than that the only thing I could recommend is booting a live linux disk like Fatdog64 and using the dd command. You can check your device names with the following terminal command

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,model

I would advise you ask about the dd command in the linux forum.

It's possible that dd would not work if there is some kind of copy protection on the CF card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users