Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN's...TOR...Question

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

I guess this falls under the Privacy Software category.

As a novice I was wondering what differences there were between a VPN (such as AirVPN, ExpressVPN, etc) and using the TOR browser? What does one offer that the other doesn't? Any benefit in using them simultaneously?

Not an undercover reporter in Syria or anything like that.

Travel often and must use public wifi. Sometimes will visit a site that I can't guarantee won't bite me.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by chiiibill, 11 September 2016 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 782 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Hello, chiiibill!

A VPN is a program which will redirect all the internet connections from your computer through a different server. If I am using push a git commit on my computer using a VPN, its internet traffic will go through the VPN before getting to the destination server. Likewise, when I try to access a website in my browser through a VPN, the information will go from the server to the VPN proxy and then finally to my computer. This is the better solution if you need your whole system to go through a proxy, with the downside that many solutions are either paid options, or are free, but have slower speeds and may contain advertisements.

With Tor, only their browser will use a proxy. If I push a commit when I have tor on my computer but not a VPN, its information will not first go through the proxy; it will go straight to the destination server. The Tor browser, however, will redirect traffic through a proxy. This is better if you only need your internet browsing to go through a proxy.

I don't believe there would be any benefit at all to running both simultaneously, and I believe that, if anything, it will slow down your connection because the information is going through more than one proxy server.

If you have other questions or need further clarification, I'd be glad to help you further!

ZC

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Now, with my brain overclocking in an attempt to understand (turned up the A/C) - (apologies, but no clue as to what a 'git commit' is) does this mean that with the VPN I pass through their proxy servers going to a site and data passes through same proxy returning data to me?

Not sure I understand about TOR - My connection to a website is not rerouted but will go directly the the website and only pass through a proxy with returned data?

Thanks for your patience.

Edited by chiiibill, 11 September 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#4 sasschary

sasschary

• 782 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

apologies, but no clue as to what a 'git commit' is

Sorry, that was perhaps not the best example to use. Basically it's a program for coding projects, and if you make and push a commit, you save your changes so other people can access it. Your understanding of what I meant though was correct. Data being sent and received from any program on your computer will go through the proxy server.

With Tor, however, only data sent and received through the Tor browser will be sent through the proxy. If you access the internet through a different browser or some other program, its data will not be sent or received through the proxy server.

Sorry I was unclear!
ZC

#5 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

Please, no need to apologize. Seriously, it's like when adults are having a conversation and you suddenly have switch gears when your toddler walks up with his question. I'm a toddler in these parts.

So, with VPN setup on my PC I'm not limited to a specific browser and  I can actually select the proxy server (from what I'm seeing,usually based on it's speed). While with TOR, I am limited to their browser only.

So far, a good VPN (I see importance placed on 'no logs', speed, number of servers in the ads) seems to be more flexible and have more options. Aside from being free, Is there any security advantage to TOR?

Thanks again.

Edited by chiiibill, 11 September 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#6 sasschary

sasschary

• 782 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

Hello again!

So, with VPN setup on my PC I'm not limited to a specific browser and  I can actually select the proxy server (from what I'm seeing,usually based on it's speed). While with TOR, I am limited to their browser only.

That's correct!

Aside from being free, Is there any security advantage to TOR?

I found this page which, towards the bottom, gives advantages and disadvantages of Tor and VPNs. It also gives an explanation of how each works, and I would highly recommend having a look at that. The two advantages of Tor given there are that your IP cannot be traced through the network, and that, because of how the network works, it would be very hard for the government to shut it down.

Other people may have other things to say, but that's what I've found!
ZC

Edited by sasschary, 11 September 2016 - 08:57 PM.

#7 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

I'm printing the link as I type this. Will read it in a few minutes.

Thanks for the education. I'm sure there's still a lot to learn on the subject but I now understand the primary difference between the two options.

All that's left is to find a way to use the term 'git commit' in everyday conversation. I like it.

Thanks again.

#8 sasschary

sasschary

• 782 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

You're welcome!

All that's left is to find a way to use the term 'git commit' in everyday conversation. I like it.

Good luck with that! If you get ever get into open source projects (projects where the programming is freely visible to anyone), I'm sure you'll be able to use that! Or you could come up with some new definition for it, though you might have to explain it for a while until people catch on...

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
ZC

#9 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

Due to my skill set, may have to start with second option. Will find the phrase a new home for now.  Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow AM. I can already see the faces.

Going to read the article.

Thanks one more time. Good night for now.

#10 sasschary

sasschary

• 782 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

Good luck again with using git commit in everyday conversation, you'll have to tell me how that works out for you. Maybe I'll even adopt it myself!

You're very welcome! Goodnight to you as well!

ZC

#11 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

As of yesterday, git = goods in transit

Once a shipment has been picked up from our warehouse, the change/update is now noted in our local database/customer folder as  a  'git commit'.

:thumbup2:

#12 FindTheWay

FindTheWay

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:05 AM

Tor makes it difficult for anyone to trace your internet activities back to you and is designed to protect your privacy online. The software is free to install and use. VPN service protects your privacy by masking your IP address and encrypting your internet traffic. When you connect to a VPN server, that VPN server will act as a proxy to connect to your desired website on your behalf. If you just want to surf the web anonymously, then Tor may be sufficient. But if you want better privacy protection, enhanced security from hackers, identity thieves and malware, and speed, then a VPN service is likely a better option. I suggest to read this article https://myipservices.com/blog/compare-tor-and-vpn for more info.

#13 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Found these interesting articles by one of the better-rated VPN providers on VPN, TOR and a discussion on combination of the two:

https://www.expressvpn.com/how-to-use-vpn/tor-vpn

https://www.expressvpn.com/blog/best-privacy-tor-vpn/?utm_campaign=newsletter_201611&utm_medium=email&utm_source=content_email

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

We have a recent discussion topic...see Is Tor totally safe?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •