Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS laptop screen flashes, external monitor does not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 juswalk

juswalk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:25 PM

ASUS Q301L laptop that came with Windows 8 but has Windows 10 installed.

After the computer warms- up and while using multiple programs the laptop’s screen will blank out for a second or two then return to normal. This will continue every few moments until I shut the machine down, let it cool, then bring it back up. I have an external monitor plugged- in that has zero issues whatsoever. It appears that the issue is heat related so I have taken the bottom of the laptop off to clean the heat sink, blow out the fan, and even replaced the heat sink paste yet the problem persists. It seems that this began with Windows 10, but I’m not entirely sure, so I’ve gone back and disabled the error reporting service as recommended.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! -Juswalk 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

It could be loose or damaged wires to the laptop monitor display, if the external connection shows that the machine is not freezing.

For monitoring your system temperature and voltages try speedfan or hwmonitor

My laptop screen with windows 8.0 would blank out for a few seconds then return to the desktop, but it turned out to be a graphics problem (windows interface or display driver) that only a windows update could solve.

Edited by thedarkness, 13 September 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#3 juswalk

juswalk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. The wiring seems fine as this only occurs after the computer has been running for some time and the fan is running at full speed. I was thinking maybe the fan is not doing its job, but that's a shot in the dark. 

I managed to update the graphics card to the latest driver, but that did not seem to help. I keep returning to the thought that the issue is heat related.

Thanks,

juswalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users