Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking advantage of "Internet 150"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DarkD

DarkD

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

My family recently bought shaws new "Internet 150" which is supposed to support speeds of up to 150Mbps.  But what I'm experiencing is still "internet 20" at 20Mbps.  I think this is my fault because I don't have the high end ethernet cables I should to support it, but I thought I'd drop in here and see if you guys agree with my assessment.  I have cat 5e cable right now.

Because Shaw did tell me that they upgraded the buildings in my area to be capable of internet 150.  I'm on hold right now to talk to their representatives as well.  

EDIT

NVM...

Stupid technician put the new modem which is capable of 150 speed in the livingroom when our hub for wired internet is in the closet in the apartments entrance....  Apparently he said it was so we could get wireless on our phones....  You wireless people are another cancer of the internet....  I tested the wireless speed just in case on the stupid modem.  The wireless was like 2Mbps....  Wireless is the ultimate internet scam....

Now I put the modem where it belongs and the WIRED internet goes up to 90Mbps.  That's over multiple splits from routers and such.  I swear, I'll never understand what you people see in wireless technology....

Edited by DarkD, 11 September 2016 - 04:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

What network equipment do you have? Even older CAT5 can support up to 100Mbps. Do you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem or gateway? Do you have a router connected to it?

#3 DarkD

DarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

I edited the original post.  The problem was with the bloody tech...  He set the new modem up in the livingroom and left the old modem in place where all the important wired connections were.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

I am confused. Who is "you people" and why are they cancer? I have gotten 300Mbps+ on Wifi AC before. It all depends on what equipment you have and how it is configured. If you don't want to bother learning about it, fine, but don't insult those that have. 

Edited by Trikein, 12 September 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#5 DarkD

DarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:24 PM

Really, I had a 1:1 wireless connection between a desktop PC and the modem that came with Shaws internet 150.  The box was 3 feet from the modem.  It started out with a burst of 28Mbps, then instantly dropped down to 3Mbps and slowly trickled lower until finally ending with a connection speed of 1Mbps.  This was an unsplit connection directly with the modem.  

I'm guessing you have a crazy expensive router to achieve that sort of speed.  Try with a normal router and tell me what you get.  And make sure there isn't a wired connection as an option for the computer.  If there's an option, the computer will always used the wired connection.

Edited by DarkD, 11 September 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

I have been using wireless routers since Wifi B. I have used everything from a 5$ WRT54G I found at a yardsale to beta testing some of the first Wifi AC1900 adapters. The results I have achieved depended on the technical abilities of the equipment and the environment the network was in. Think of a wireless antenna as a sound speaker; how it sounds depends on your ear and the acoustics of the room. The FCC tests every consumer wireless device for speed, power, and sensitivity. These records are public record and can be looked up by the FCCID. 3rd party review can also be found on Smallnetbuilder. Buyer review can be found on Newegg and Amazon. 

My first question still stands; what equipment do you have? Do you know the model number of the Shaw gateway? What model computer or wireless device are you connecting with? If the wireless adapter in your device can only connect at only Wifi G (54Mbps) then a weak signal might bump you down to 5Mbps. Sometimes changing the wireless radio settings in the router can help with this.

Edited by Trikein, 12 September 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#7 DarkD

DarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:34 PM

I'm angry because it's the tool that's set as the default and is actively replacing wired for no reason.  If you're at college and need a quick and dirty internet signal then sure, use wireless.  I'm fine with that.  But defaulting everyone to having wireless on your home desktops is ridiculous. It's actually difficult to use the simpler and more reliable wired now than it is to use wireless. I actually do have wireless routers set up if I want them.  I use them for all the extraneous devices like my houses three smart tvs and the four gaming consoles that need internet occasionally.  

You are right that it's the receivers fault.  But I still stand by my statement that wireless sucks.  The fact of the matter is that getting wireless to work properly is hard.  I'm someone who has a lot of computer experience and a lot of friends with good computer knowledge and remembering all the little details to get the wireless working perfectly took me ten minutes, but I completely forgot I'd need to upgrade the receiver to get any sort of speed from my new connection.  Imagine what a casual user would do?  They would have upgraded thinking "yes faster speeds" and because the tech setup the modem under the assumption that we'd use wireless, they'd have been unintentionally tricked into downgrading from 20Mbps to 1Mbps download speed instead of upgrading to 150 like we were supposed to get.  

In a wired setup though, there's no question.  You plug it in and you're done.  At worst you need to reset the modem occasionally when there's a blackout.  Stores won't give you an underpowered ethernet cable because even the lowest things they sell these days are cat5e which would work for our situation.  

There are lots of examples of superfluous wireless devices in the world.  Wireless mice might be acceptable on a laptop, but on a desktop? Like hell.  My friends room mate used to have the most horrible mouse on the planet until I finally swapped him with a proper wired mouse.  When I talk to in-store staff, they don't even think wired is still an option anymore.  They say it's deprecated? Are you kidding me...  

Then people don't even realize what's causing all of their problems.  They think they need the newest iphone for a thousand dollars to fix their crappy wifi signals.  

It's not a problem for me, but if I wasn't around NONE of my family would have been able to fix this stuff. My mother already calls the shaw techs all the time to try and fix her remote that never seems to connect with the gateway box.  She's almost switched herself to comcast (an infamously badly rated company) because she is fedup with all the problems we have.  

You wanna know what the casual computer user's solution to all the above problems would be?  Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars replacing the equipment or calling in tech support simply to change the battery on the wireless keyboard...  Do you have any idea how many times I've had to go to my mothers place just to press the "reset wireless" button on the wireless mouse and keyboard?

Edited by DarkD, 11 September 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:16 AM

" But I still stand by my statement that wireless sucks. "

That wasn't your statement. It has since been edited by a moderator. Editing mine to match.

Edited by Trikein, 12 September 2016 - 07:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users