Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD GPT 4TB internal HDD turns into RAW after 2.27 TB storage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 help_m

help_m

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

i have a 4TB WD internal HDD that was working fine.

after story (below if you need), i formatted the HDD as GPT using disk management. 

coping the data to HDD & after reaching 2.27 TB of storage the copying speed slows down to a almost a halt & it gives 'not accessible'. after restarting the PC it becomes RAW (shows 3726.02 GB RAW healthy primary partition in disk management)

it seems that i have a damaged GPT table or a damaged HDD circuit !? how can i determine that?

professionals please help :(

spec's:

windows 7 ultimate x64, SP1 [6.1 Build 7601]

WDC WD40EZRX-00SPEB0         (this is the problem)

Motherboard: 

intel DH67BL (LGA1155)

more info in 'speccy' generated file (attached)

Notable issues:

1- before formatting HDD 'speccy' showing discrepancy between size & capacity pictures attached (capacity 1678 GB & size 3699 GB).

2- strangely after formatting, HDD showing only 1678 GB of space in Disk management & i had to format it (GPT using disk management) then use a win7 CD to format it again & restore the entire space.

3- after that whether i format it again from disk management or not it shows the full space & it works fine until reaching 2.27 TB of storage!

4- minitool shows 1678.02 GB capacity, -2.19887e+12B used! & 3725.88 unused. then after 2.27 TB storage it shows 1678.02 GB capacity, 1678.02 used & 0 unused.

5- all files were opening fine before 2.27 TB was copied to HDD.

i tried many things:

1- CrystalDiskInfo 7.0.0 (attached)

2- complete surface test with minitool

3- changed SATA cable

4- formatted the HDD several times & using several methods:

* completely wiped the data from the HDD using CCleaner.

* used 'write zeros' in 'WD data lifeguard diagnostics (win version)' but after that HDD became 1678.02 GB & i had to format again using Win7 disk.

4- also used 'check disk' within windows (before it became un-accessible) & no bad sectors

5- performed both quick test & 'complete test' in 'WD data lifeguard diagnostics' with HDD passing both (before, also after writing data to HDD & after it became un-accessible).

6- even scanned the HDD for viruses after formatting.

7- i copied data several times to HDD & every time it did the same thing

story (if needed): 

in short: i restarted the PC several times since i was unable to see the display on the screen.

i did a very dumb mistake by switching the bios setting of graphics card to 'on board only' after suffering from some problems with external graphics card but i forgot to remove the cable from the external graphics card & install it to the on board one! 

i removed the battery from the mother board (MoBo) & used the jumper before i finally realized the mistake! (i made sure zero power was in the MoBo before doing that & i made sure all settings were back to default)

after running the PC it ran 'check disk' & after finishing PC started fine until i tried to run some files on the storage 4 TB HDD. all xps, excel, word files...etc were corrupted but most video files were running fine. after getting fed up with trying to restore the data i formatted the HDD.

i need to use the full capacity of HDD without it becoming un-accessible & causing major data loss  please help :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

I think the issue involves having an older motherboard with a Legacy BIOS and a modern GPT disk. A GPT disk is best used with a computer with a UEFI and not one with a legacy BIOS. It's possible intel has a BIOS update. 

See this

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html  Note: This article is about booting a GPT disk on a Legacy BIOS computer. I know you are using the disk as data only but there may be some link because the drive goes raw at 2.27 which is what the size MBR would detect the disk as.

You can try the following. Instead of formatting using Disk Managment use Partition Wizard. Delete All Partitions. Initialize the disk as GPT. Create a primary partition formatted NTFS. I don't know how much you have used Partition Wizard but click Apply after all steps.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#3 help_m

help_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

I think the issue involves having an older motherboard with a Legacy BIOS and a modern GPT disk. A GPT disk is best used with a computer with a UEFI and not one with a legacy BIOS. It's possible intel has a BIOS update. 

See this article.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

You can try the following. Instead of formatting using Disk Managment use Partition Wizard. Delete All Partitions. Initialize the disk as GPT. Create a primary partition formatted NTFS. I don't know how much you have used Partition Wizard but click Apply after all steps.

thanks for the prompt response

i am not booting from the GPT HDD & it was working fine with storage over 2700 GB.

i will try partition wizard but it will take time since the problem is only showing after 2.27 TB of storage

is there any other way to test the HDD?

i have also posted data from 'CrystalDiskInfo'

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

Because it's a WD you can use their diagnostic software. 

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=940

If you still get the same problem with Partition Wizard I would RMA the drive if possible even if it checks okay with the diagnostics. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#5 help_m

help_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:59 PM

See this article.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

thanks for the prompt response

i am not booting from the GPT HDD & it was working fine with storage over 2700 GB.

i will try partition wizard but it will take time since the problem is only showing after 2.27 TB of storage

is there any other way to test the HDD?

i have also posted data from 'CrystalDiskInfo'

i deleted all the partitions

initialized as GPT but only 1677.90 GB showing with a 128 MB GPT reserved partition.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

initialized as GPT but only 1677.90 GB showing with a 128 MB GPT reserved partition.

That's definitely strange. I am not sure how else to proceed. Do you have a USB enclosure available for the drive?

Edit: I just had another thought. It may be possible to create a gpt ntfs disk using GParted from a bootable disk. This is a linux based partition manager. This would work outside of windows. The drive lettering is different and you need to be sure you are working on the right disk. If Gparted does not work then I am not sure what would.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hi,

Just my two cents, I suspect that the BIOS is not detecting the big HDD size every time...

Can you confirm that in BIOS? Not all of them show the size of the HDD

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 help_m

help_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:20 AM

initialized as GPT but only 1677.90 GB showing with a 128 MB GPT reserved partition.

That's definitely strange. I am not sure how else to proceed. Do you have a USB enclosure available for the drive?

Edit: I just had another thought. It may be possible to create a gpt ntfs disk using GParted from a bootable disk. This is a linux based partition manager. This would work outside of windows. The drive lettering is different and you need to be sure you are working on the right disk. If Gparted does not work then I am not sure what would.

@ johnC_21

thanks, i will restore the full space using win 7 CD then use mini tool to delete the partition & initialize as GPT & test it

then

i will see how to use Gparted (i can physically remove the other HDD's from the MoBo to make sure i am dealing with the targeted HDD)

#9 help_m

help_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

please note that this HDD is only used for storage (no OS on it)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:41 AM

please note that this HDD is only used for storage (no OS on it)

As SleepyDude posted, the drive should have the correct size shown in BIOS. Is the full 4TB shown? If the size is not correct in BIOS you will never be able to use it's full capacity.

For Gparted you select the device in the dropdown box on the upper right but disconnecting the drives is always a good idea.

gp01.jpeg

For creating a gpt disk select Device > Create Partition Table. Click Advanced

figure002.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 September 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#11 help_m

help_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:57 PM

JohnC_21

thanks i remember i saw it several time in BIOS it was showing full capacity. i am currently writing zeros to it so hopefully i will try Gparted after it finishes

#12 nlb90805

nlb90805

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

Just a quick question. Do You ever check your Windows Event Logs? If not, you will learn far more about what is going on with the System, Components/Hardware (HD), O.S. Applicathitions et al. by periodically looking through the logs.

I ask this because most likely the logs were pointing to the impending issue leading up to the time when the 4TB HD encountered it's problem.

Also taking out the MOBO's battery, a.k.a. the Complementary Metal Oxide SemiConductor (CMOS), to clear all of the systems Nonvolatile Memory, I'm just assuming you were trying to perform what is Called a 'HARD RESET'... that process also includes unplugging the computer from the wall and pressing the On Button. Making sure the system and yourself were both free of any Static Electricity to Avoid any electrical damage. I'm working on the knowledge here that everyone who has responded to this post knows all this information. So please don't think I'm talking down to anyone here.

Moving right a long.

I have been mulling around about this particular problem, searching Google and such.

After pulling out the CMOS and flipping the dip switch. You did manage to ensure the UEFI setting was on to support that Large GPT NTFS Partition? I don't know if this is something that must be set or is PnP at the BIOS level?

As for using the Disk Management Console try using Diskpart that comes with Windows. Of course it's a Command Prompt App but it also runs In an interactive mode like WMIC & PowerShell.

And it seems that the Core Team at M$ is aware of your issue and have written several articles concerning it. Even though you had the whole entire drive working at Capacity but have since ran into your problem I suggest you read the following article; paying attention to what is mentioned under the 'Known Issue/Limitations' heading paying attention to the second bulleted paragraph near the end of the article!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

And trusting you have been investigating the problem and may have ran into the previous article, I only manage to read the first two documents but the search string I used in Google was 'ms ntfs GPT 2 terabyte partition limit'.

Now if you haven't tried yet or don't want to, I would try to wipe the disk, create two new partitions GPT of course and make two 2TB drives. That is just an attempt to ensure the OS can see and read and write to the entire disk - not as a resolution but just a diagnosis step.

Lastly, I know TMI here, but besides just opening the 'Device Manager' to see if there's a RedX or Yellow Triangle next to your drive or to update drivers, in the toolbar at the top of the window is the options for 'Views'. It is a godsend sometimes for fixing device issues sometimes. There are about four settings including the default view that the Window Pop's up with. You can see which bus or channel or whatever whichever device is having problems. Thus helping you narrow down the problem to the device or something else inline in the system throwing a fit.! So please check that out as well and Please get familiar with your system's blog's that appear a long with the disk management option when you right click the computer Icon and choose manage. Everything that is expandable in that window is just an .MSC Snap-in for the MMC, Microsoft Management Console.

#13 help_m

help_m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

i managed to lay my hands on another PC & attached the HDD to it as an external hard (through external case). it identified it as 4TB directly

i am installing it in the new PC & if it copies>2.27TB without problems i know for sure the problem is from my PC.

it might turn out to be a BIOS problem after all (although it was working perfectly before & that the the current version is the same as the one before flushing, what a crazy world!)

i'll keep you updated, guys i am still open for your suggestions

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

The times I've seen the hardware devices exceed the software loaded.  In this case it appears that your BIOS does not recognize the drive.  Sometimes the drive comes with some software itself to install the drive and set drives or patches to the BIOS to allow full addressing of the drive area.

#15 nlb90805

nlb90805

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

In the Win98 days there was a limit, natively ,on hard drive capacity. I can't remember what it was and it seems no one on the Internet can remember either. It ranges from 32Gigs to 64gigs and 128 to 137gigs depending on how much the BIOS could recognize and which version of FDisk was used. But all of the Drive Manufacturer's of the time offered software that would allow win98 to go beyond the M$ limit.

I remember replacing My brothers Drive in his old fart 98 box that came with an 8 or 10gig, it failed throwing CRC32 errors and he bought the cheapest drive at that time. Something like an 80gig WD. FDisk freaked and I remember downloading a size extender so the drive would work on his system that had one stick of 64MB 66Mhz ram and another with 32MB 66Mhz POS system. Both had different Timing settings but still worked. Now everything has to be matched and from the same manufacturer.

Edited by nlb90805, 14 September 2016 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users