Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAPTOP FOR GRANDCHILD UP TO 400

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LizMac

LizMac

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

Can anyone recommend a good reliable laptop which I can buy for my grandchild (age 11 and for schoolwork) for around £400. ? 

I am going round in circles looking at the specs.  Seems that a good battery life is important.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies or advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flamingo_go

flamingo_go

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

Highly recommend you to learn more about Dell Inspiron 15 i5555-2866SLV 15.6-inch Touchscreen Laptop PC. It worth a  little bit more, 411$, but it worth it. 
The display of the 5555 is a bit washed out and has terrible viewing angles. You need to adjust it just right. But it's large and on the lower end of high resolution which is great for me. I find the keyboard a bit hard to type on. I don't know if that because I'm not used to it or if there is something funky about this keyboard. But the keyboard is backlit which is nice.

The biggest issue with this laptop is the HD. It has a really slow spinning drive. I haven't had a computer without an SSD in a couple of years so maybe I'm spoiled, but yikes this computer takes for ever to startup. Anything that hits the hard drive, causes the computer to become nearly unresponsive. I benchmarked the HD and it runs 10x slower than a SSD.

So, I bought a cheap ($50 or so) 250G SSD and reloaded the OS. Boy that makes a huge difference. This computer plus a cheap SSD is a great value.
Anyway, read some reviews such as bestadvisor or cnet. Good luck!

#3 LizMac

LizMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for this flamingo - strangely enough we decided on the Dell Inspiron because it had more memory and storage than most of the others in the price range.  Your advice on SSD is useful - will see how it goes - he has not used it yet.  Thanks again.

#4 protjini

protjini

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:28 AM

I recommend you Dell Vostro 14 V3446, It is a lightweight laptop at a budget priceThe battery is good for 4-5 hours of use and weight is around 2 kg. 

Important Specs:

1.7 GHz Intel Core i3 processor

4GB Ram

500 GB Hard Disk

Intel Core i3 Processor

Overall it is a well-suited laptop for entertainment and basic needs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users