Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Reading Disk in Drive A Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UberLatios

UberLatios

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

Please help. My Toshiba 430cdt laptop is stuck on a blue screen saying:

Error Reading Disk in Drive A

Please insert Disk NO NAME

With Serial Number 2812-7834 in Drive A:

Press ENTER for OK or ESC to Cancel: OK

It will not go away. This has persisted overnight. When I force the power button to turn it off, on reboot it immediately goes to this screen. Not even a boot up first.  It uses an external floppy drive. When the screen eventually goes black (likely a screen saver, I'd imagine) pressing they keyboard does nothing. Pressing ESC and ENTER does nothing either. I've put back in the floppy that I used before this error occurred and nothing happened, even when pressing ENTER. The external keyboard jack doesn't help. The external keyboard still will not function better than the on-laptop keyboard. What do I do?

Edited by UberLatios, 11 September 2016 - 02:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Sounds like the computer cannot find an Operating System to bootup from, (like one installed on a hard drive for example), and so, it has no choice but to attempt to look around on other available drives to see what's available. And if drive A: is the only other drive, it's attempting to boot from a bootable System Disk in it ... which apparently is no longer there.

A computer without an operating system is fairly useless. Doorstop maybe? ;)

Doc

___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
\____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
\_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
\_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
\_______/

#3 UberLatios

UberLatios
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

Is there is any way to get an OS running? There is a CD drive built in that does not want to open for no discernible reason.

My real question is that it did work properly for about a week after I bought it. It worked beautifully. I installed Doom95 from the official website and shortly afterwards the computer just went directly from the desktop to this screen. It's not like it was bumped or had a virus. It just seemed to happen.

Edited by UberLatios, 11 September 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#4 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Do you know of the Floppy disk is bootable? Does it have the OS with command.com on it?

Do you have another computer with a floppy disk that you can make a bootable floppy?

These computers came out around the time of bootable CD's, including bootable Win95 CD's. You might try a CD with Win95 in the drive.

Most other options involve using another computer to create a bootable floppy with CD drivers on it. I would be using a USB floppy on my Win7 machine and using HP's USB format tool.

Edited by BrianVS, 11 September 2016 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users