Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Runs Linux Live But No OSs Will Install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

Hi,
I have inherited an older laptop and need help bringing it back to life.
Evidently it quit working and was put away. When I tried to boot it I got a No OS installed error.
It is a ASUS X70L-7s021C, 17inch display, x86, Intel Pentium Dual T2370 @ 1.7GHz. It has a Vista product sticker, tho both the user manual I downloaded and the the ASUS X70L webpage say it shipped with XP?!?

So right away I installed 4Gb of new RAM and a new Toshiba HDD. Both were tried in another laptop to confirm they are good. I figured it would fire right up and I'd install Win 7 and get on with life. Wrong...

The ASUS runs Linux Live Discs very well for hours and all features work. My problem is I can not get any OS to install. On Linux, when a Live Disc is running and I click install I can only get to the point where they ask my location. I choose it and then the laptop freezes or shuts down. Same thing if I choose to install-now from the startup menu. I tried Ububtu, LXLE, Linux Lite, etc., live versions all work but none will install. I tried Win 7 (thats what I really wanted) and XP, with those I get a BSOD when clicking the Install button on the window where you can choose to Repair or Install. Error msg x000000000700. I took the working Win 7 HDD out of my primary laptop and tried that in the Asus, it goes to the Startup Repair window, and neither of the 2 options worked to get it to boot. PC Check finds no hardware problems. Out of curiosity I ran Memtest Boot Disc and from H's Boot Disc Tools, Toshiba HDD Tester and every other hardware testing tool that I could figure out, all passed on those. The (very simple) BIOS settings look right, and I did reset them to default but no difference.

If you are going to suggest I flash the BIOS, please explain why. Doesn't the fact that Live Discs will run prove the BIOS is not corrupt?
I am out of ideas. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

Try the following. Using a live linux disk start the partition manager called Gparted. Select Device > Create New Partition Table. This will clear the drive. Create a new primary NTFS partition on the disk. Click Partition > Manage Flags and check the boot flag. Click Apply to start the operations. Boot your Windows 7 disk and see if you get an error.

#3 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sure, will give it a go, why not, got nothing to lose...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

A simple thing that may have some bearing, since the system has been in mothballs for some time...I would replace the CMOS battery, if easy enough.

Louis

#5 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

As the correct time shows In BIOS and Linux Live I assumed the battery was ok. Am I wrong? I guess it can't hurt to change it. Will report back. THX!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

The time/date changes...are just two of the more obvious symptoms of CMOS battery issues, IMO.  I have also seen any number of hardware errors reflected...which were not, in fact, hardware problems at all but a CMOS battery problem which went away when I replaced the CMOS battery.

Louis

#7 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hi,
I installed new CMOS battery. Then I tried again to install Win 7 on a 80GB hdd. This time as soon as the install dvd spins up I got this BSOD msg
0x0000000A
(0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0xooooooo0, 0x8BD8A708)

#8 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

Try the following. Using a live linux disk start the partition manager called Gparted. Select Device > Create New Partition Table. This will clear the drive. Create a new primary NTFS partition on the disk. Click Partition > Manage Flags and check the boot flag. Click Apply to start the operations. Boot your Windows 7 disk and see if you get an error.

Hi,

Did the procedure. Win 7 install attempt BSOD'd when I pressed boot from dvd. Tried Win XP Pro next. When asked to accept agreement, which was missing half the text, and press F8, which I did, it black screened and restarted itself.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

OA is a general error...doesn't indicate what the problem might be, only asserts that there is a problem, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314063 .

There are no drivers involved in installing Windows initially...but RAM is used to perform the install.  Correction...there may be the hard drive controller/driver.  Running a linux distro would have no impact on determining hard drive functionality.

Louis

#10 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

OA is a general error...doesn't indicate what the problem might be, only asserts that there is a problem, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314063 .

There are no drivers involved in installing Windows initially...but RAM is used to perform the install.  Correction...there may be the hard drive controller/driver.  Running a linux distro would have no impact on determining hard drive functionality.

Louis

Thanks for the input. If the HDD will mount and is accessible in Linux Live, and if GParted can do successful partition mods, then that's a pretty good indicator the HDD is recognized and is working in my experience. The RAM is brand new and I even did Memtestx86 of 4 full cycles with no errors.

The other error codes according to the MS list may suggest a processor error. Even tho the processor passed PC Tools tests I think that's probably the next thing to check. Can you suggest a good processor testing tool?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

I cannot, I don't have the experience/knowledge and have never had to check a CPU on any of my personal systems (my experience), other than when I have accidentally bent pins.  Some of the others here may have a suggestion.

Louis

#12 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

Problem solved. When I approached this as an electrician instead of a PC tech I found one of my RAM slots is intermittently shorting out. I tried using just 1 RAM card, the first slot I tried still had problems, the other slot had no issues and allowed me to install an OS. Intermittent probs are the hardest to diagnose!

Gracias y adios from sunny Costa del Sol.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for letting us know :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users