Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 deleting files, or showing one or two 0KB files with missing content

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

I have just under 100GB left on a windows 10 laptop, running a 500GB drive. The system is giving me notice that I am running out of disk space on the hard drive. I have noticed that one or two video files from my camera now list themselves as 0kB and do not play. They are converted family videos so I have them backed up, but it does make me wonder about the reliability of the drive, perhaps even the OS. The system is clean of malware and defragged regularly. I don't know if I have deleted these files in the past or not, but for some reason the OS is showing them with no content.

I have crystaldiskinfo installed for the hard drive which shows everything in the green, as 'good' in terms of drive health. What programs or tests could I try to ensure the operating system has no file system issues other than the sfc /scannow command? scannow shows no problems,although I did think with the drive getting fuller, that the likelyhood of corruption even if defragged, was going to increase. Registry programs tend to do more harm than good imo, software from an era where they really did make a difference-but ccleaner is good too.

I can easily delete all the raw video footage to claim the majority of drive space back, but I am just concerned about storing any files on the system in future, that may end up the same way. I doubt I need over 100GB of space on the system at all times. The windows.old folder shows no content, but as the system gets ready for a new update (essentially a new windows 10 OS) this tends to fill up only to around 2 or 3GB. Thanks for any suggestions on what I could try

Edited by thedarkness, 11 September 2016 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I have Windows 10 running in numerous partitions smaller than 100 GB and have never gotten that message.  This sounds like malware to me.  I'd download and run MalwareBytes first.  If the problem persists, I'd post in the "Am I infected" forum.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 thedarkness

thedarkness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

I have avast with windows firewall control set to custom rules,together with malwarebytes and superantispyware as secondary scanners. I also have spywareblaster and ublock for the browser. I have scanned with tdskiller and find nothing. I don't install any suspect programs but as it's a family owned system I try and keep it as secure as possible. I have noted that avast is not fully compatible with windows firewall control (avasts gui does not load at startup) but the firewall remains on, and the gui can still be started, so it does not seem to be the issue. I wonder if crystaldiskinfo settings for the drive could potentially cause any issues, as I needed to use that as a result of the drive spinning down a lot (default power setting would spin down frequently, but this is quite common on some acer laptops). Thanks for the reply.I can't think of anything else other than an OS bug or mechanical issue, if I may have deleted the file in the past but it still shows-but I havent had the same problem again

Edited by thedarkness, 12 September 2016 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users