Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi "Only" calling GS2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

I have a old Samsung Galaxy S2 that isn't on Sprint anymore. It does NOT have any Wifi calling options under settings. I have a google voice number, attached to my main Gmail username, which I use to make outbound calls from my laptop. I have tried the Google Voice app, with and without Sprint integration, but gets stuck trying to "verify number". The problem is I can't receive calls from Google voice web app to verify the transfer. Do you need a cellular connection to make "wifi only" calls? Is it a problem with my phone number? Is the phone too old?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

I know this post is now "ancient" but I did want to point out that you will need to use a combination of Google Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer if you wish to make WiFi calls using a Google Voice number on Android these days.  The whole purpose of Hangouts Dialer is to insure that the calls use WiFi rather than the built-in data plan on your device (if it has one at all).

I've been using this combo on a LG Tribute for a while.  I think it is also compatible with the ancient LG Optimus V that I now use as an MP3 player, but I've not tested that out.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users