Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pxe-e61 Error - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tracey1302

tracey1302

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hey all

Please help! I'm having serious problems with my laptop and the stupid technical support line is closed!

I have a Compaq Presario Notebook R3200 and have had no problems with it until today.

I turned it on, got the Compaq logo as usual; and then an error message came up on a black background that reads;

Realtek Fast Ethernet Controller V2.13
PXE-E61 Media test failure; check cable
PXE-MOF Exiting PXE ROM.

This screen loads over and over again.

I have tried disabling the network adaptor in BIOS setup in the boot setup order section but all that happens after that is I get the Compaq logo and then a black screen with a flashing white cursor.

I have no idea how this has happened. The only thing that has been changed on my laptop is that it has recently acquired a wireless network connection; as we have recently got broadband on the main desktop computer.

Please help!

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 19 August 2006 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

Hi tracey1302,

Go into BIOS and the second item to the left - has to do with boot settings/ device configurations etc. There should be a boot order item. Change the PXE boot to the last on the list - make CD first and then hard drive second. Make sure all floppies (if your computer has one) - and CD'd are out of your computer. There is one more setting to check, but I will have to get a laptop in my hands to tell you exactly what it is.

good luck,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 tracey1302

tracey1302
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:55 AM

Hi tracey1302,

Go into BIOS and the second item to the left - has to do with boot settings/ device configurations etc. There should be a boot order item. Change the PXE boot to the last on the list - make CD first and then hard drive second. Make sure all floppies (if your computer has one) - and CD'd are out of your computer. There is one more setting to check, but I will have to get a laptop in my hands to tell you exactly what it is.

good luck,

rigel

Thanks for helping me. I tried what you asked and made cd first and hard drive second but there was no change to the error message that came up.

What is the PXE Boot?

At the moment, the boot list reads like this;

CD ROM DRIVE (or something to that effect)
HARD DRIVE
FLOPPY DISKETTE DRIVE (This was previously before the CD rom drive as first on the list - which is odd considering I don't have a floppy diskette drive on my laptop)
NETWORK ADAPTOR

I tried disabling the Network Adaptor so it had an exclamation mark next to it but this didn't work; and the black screen came on with the flashing white cursor in the top left.

#4 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

Hmmm this problem is confusing, as a lot of the time this error message is created by a bad boot device or hardware malfunction... Have you recently dropped your laptop or had it in a car or anything? I've heard of a lot of problems like this where a hdd has come unplugged inside the laptop... some people have fixed the problem by opening their laptop and making sure all connections/cables are plugged in properly, and others have fixed the problem simply by 'hitting' their laptop a little and shaking things around. Try these and get back to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users