Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mgeduld

mgeduld

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

Hi. I have an ASUS laptop running Windows 8.1.

About a week ago, it started disconnecting from my router, each time I move to another room (a room some distance from the router), even though that had never been a problem, before. My other computers had no trouble connecting, no matter where they were. 

Then, yesterday, it stopped being able to connect at all, even if it's physically right next to the router. Again, all my other machines can connect without a problem. 

On the ASUS, I can see the network, which shows only two bars (it shows all the bars on my other computers), but I can't connect to it. 

I tried restarting the router but that didn't help.

I tried ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /release but that didn't help, either.

I tried going into the device manager, deleting the wifi driver and reinstalling it (it doesn't need an update), and even that didn't help. Though, after I did that, when I tried to connect, it asked me for the network security key, and it detected that I'd typed it in correctly, but, after "Verifying and connecting," it said (as always) "Can't connect to this network."

By the way, the same thing happens when I try to connect to an xfinity network that doesn't have anything to do with my router. It's just one that is accessible in my neighborhoods. All my machines except for the ASUS can connect to it, and it also shows just two bars on the ASUS. 

According to the Network Adaptor Troubleshooter, I have no preferred wireless networks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

The wifi adapter itself may be failing or it could be a wonky driver. 

What is the model number of the ASUS. Right click the wifi adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

If a reinstall of the driver does not help and there is easy access to the wifi adapter make sure the antenna wires are securely attached. You can also try reseating it. 

If that fails you can always use a USB dongle like this one. 

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-5520_TL-WN725N.html

You can verify if this is a hardware issue by downloading a live linux disk like Mint 18 Cinnamon. Burn the iso file and boot to the desktop. See how your range is. There will be a network icon in the lower right you can click and provide your wifi password.

#3 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

By serial number, do you mean model number? That's AMPAK/AP6234A. It's an ASUS X205T.

Edited by mgeduld, 11 September 2016 - 08:24 AM.

#4 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

Sorry, the ID from Hardware IDs is SD\VID_02s0&PID_a94d&FN_1

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

Is this your computer?

https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS_EeeBook_X205TA/HelpDesk_Download/

It would have a broadcom chipset and unfortunately it would only be available on your computers support site. The OS offered on the site only shows 32bit. If you right click Computer and select Properties does it show 32bit? If it does try reinstalling the wifi driver on the site I linked to if it is your computer.

I was not expecting that Hardware ID. I was expecting something like the below image. In fact when I did a search on Google for your ID it gave this thread as the only result.

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

#6 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

That's the X205TA. Mine is an X205T, without the "A." I'm not sure how it differs. 

I'm not sure how to right-click computer. Where is "computer"? Sorry, I'm primarily a Mac user. There's nothing on the desktop or Explorer called computer.

#7 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

Okay, it's called "this PC."

It says 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor. 

#8 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

The Network Adaptor is a Broadcom 802.11abgn Wireless SDIO Adapter. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

I could not find a support site for the X205T, only the TA. On Windows 8 I believe you can press the Windows key + D to get to the desktop. Then right click Computer and select Properties. 

http://www.winability.com/how-to-tell-if-my-windows-is-32-or-64-bit/

Edit: This thread does not mention your ASUS model but may help in regards to getting the adapter up again. There seems to be a lot of issues with this adapter from googling.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#10 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

I tried reinistalling the driver, from the link you provided, and I now have four bars for the network, but it's still not connecting. I get a popup labeled Driver Toolkit that says "Network connection timeout. Please check your Network settings and try again."

And now it's reverted down to one bar. 

#11 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

Strange. Now I AM able to connect to the xfinity network--just not my home network (even though all my other computers can connect to it). So that's progress. 

It's not ideal, though, because xfinity has a low signal. 

#12 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

I got off xfinity, tried my home network, again (because it started showing four bars), could't connect, retried xfinity, and now I can't connect to that, either. So, I'm back to base one. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

This seems to be more of a hardware issue. I'm not sure what else to try. Was the OS 32bit?

Download Windows Repair and only check Network Repair. Reboot. If that does not solve the problem then I would look at getting a USB dongle. There are cheaper versions on Ebay.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#14 mgeduld

mgeduld
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

Thanks. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Did the program work? I missed your post where you said the OS was 32bit, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users