Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sp2 And Media Player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mrsstetz

mrsstetz

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

First off, I am running SP1 because I have been reluctant to upgrade to SP2 due to horror stories I have heard.

I have downloaded Media Player 10 from the Microsoft website and proceeded to install it. It will almost completely install and then suddenly I get an message which tells me "an internal application error" has occurred and MP setup cannot be done. No error code or explanation. If I double click the MPlayer icon in my start menu, it tries to install again with the same results. Therefore, I have no usable Windows Media Player on my system and can't get a new one.

Frustrated . . . and wondering that if I just had SP2 would this not be an issue.

Ok, so now I get the message from Microsoft that it's really time to get SP2 due to them terminating support to SP1 in October. So I bite the bullet and download SP2 last night. I try installing today and lo and behold, half-way through the installation, I get a message stating SP2 cannot be installed. That's it . . . no codes or explanation.

So now, I don't have a media player or SP2. . . can these two things be related? Any ideas on how to remedy them. I have hunted the Microsoft site and cannot find anything related to my particular problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

You should find the SP fix in here."Cannot install Service Pack 2"
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

I read the info provided on that link, but I was waiting to hear from Microsoft - - I sent an email days ago explaining my problem with SP2. They just got back to me and said if my XP was preloaded on my system when I bought it (which of course it was) then I would need to get in touch with my computer manufacturer (Dell) for support. Dell, naturally, wants to charge me for any support because my computer is not new and doesn't have free support anymore. Argghhh!

I am going to go back and reread the information and see in which direction I should go. I think I am going to try to install from the original CD's with a "repair" install then try to download and install SP2 again. Incidentally, when I downloaded SP2, where did it go?? It wasn't able to install and I can't find the file anywhere on my computer. Any ideas where I should look?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

SP2 will not install properly on an infected machine.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Have you tried completely removing Windows Media 10? Do a search for the files - they're probably hiding in a download or temp folder somewhere. I would also delete the aborted SP2 downloads. Make sure your system is not infected and get it disinfected if it is. Then download SP2 prior to downloading the Media stuff.

My computer is an OEM by Dell, and I had no problems installing SP2, so the manufacturer's installation is not the problem. I downloaded at a different computer to a disk and installed SP2 from the disk. It's easier for me that way.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

Your computer does need to be malware free before installing SP2, but whoever you spoke to at Microsoft gave you erroneous information.

From the Aug 2006 Microsoft Security Bulletin:
http://www.net-security.org/advisory.php?id=6606

And
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-aug.mspx

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy:
Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Is that the phone number you called?

#7 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

I didn't call Microsoft, I emailed them. That's when they told me that if my Windows was pre-installed on my computer when I bought it that my OEM (Dell) is responsible for the support. They (Microsoft) didn't necessarily blame the install, they just said it's in Dell's hands to give support for the OS. I have contacted Dell in the past about unrelated issues and they charged for the service. I did not try calling them (yet. . .) regarding this issue but from others' experience they do charge for support calls after the 'warranty' period.

#8 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

Oh, and from what I've read on Microsoft's support pages, I cannot completely delete
Windows Media Player since it came as a part of the operating system. I can "roll back" to a preivious version through system restore but that's not helping me. I don't have a valid media player at all.

I have run SpyBot, LavaSoft, and Trend Micro and have deleted any spyware/malware they detected. My Norton AntiVirus hasn't detected anything that I know of. Is there another resource I could use to scan for viruses and such?

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

Have a look thru this list of Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.One word of caution tho,do not run two different Anti-Virus programs or Firewalls at once.Running Spyware/Malware Removal Tools together such as Ad-Aware,Spybot & Ewido etc.will work just fine.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

I've unintalled my Norton Anti-Virus (which had run out anyway) and installed a trial version of TrendMicro's PC-cillin. I am planning on purchasing it at the end of the trial run - I really like it so far. I ran a scan and it found some cookies and a little bit of adware but no infections.

Oh, and according to Microsoft, their reasoning behind letting the OEM support pre-installed Windows is because the OEM may have 'altered' the programming to suit their particular model(s) of computers. Therefore Microsoft cannot give support because they are unaware of what may have been done to their programs before they were installed. I guess that makes sense - albeit annoying.

I am going to try a few freeware programs listed in the above link to see if I am missing anything.

But somehow I feel like I am not getting any closer to the answer.

Edited by mrsstetz, 24 August 2006 - 09:55 PM.

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

Yes, you are getting closer mrsstetz.
Once you are certain there aren't any nasties residing in your computer,you should try to download SP2 again and refer to the link I provided if you have trouble with the install.Then make sure your Windows updates are all up to date.
At this point WMP shouldn't give you any problems.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:01 AM

Try calling the phone number listed in my post above - that is MS support that is specifically related to problems with Critical Updates, which seems to be what you are experiencing.

The manufacturer/vendor does not support Critical Updates because they did not write or install them and no vendor modifies the way in which Microsoft Critical Updates work.

#13 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

Well, I found out what the problem was . . . my XP was corrupt! I was missing files that were necessary. After I was sure I had no infections, I tried to do a 'repair' install from my original discs. Halfway through the installation the computer rebooted and would not open windows. I kept getting hung up on the black Windows XP screen you see when you turn your computer on. I got live tech support from Dell (which surprisingly they didn't charge me for) and we tried a variety of things. They were even suggesting that I might have a bad sector in my HD. I ended up having to completely reinstall Windows from scratch - losing lots of stuff I didn't have backed up. That'll teach me for being lazy. The good news is that my computer is now working. I am going to install SP2 before I put anything else on here just to be sure. I am hoping it'll be a piece of cake now!

Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users