Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer not showing actual hard drive capacity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beto85

beto85

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hello everyone,

I installed Windows XP Professional on my old HP m370n media center PC. I could not do a factory restore, the only way to get it working was to delete the HP recovery partition and install it there.

Now it works except that the hard drive's capacity which is 160 GB is not displaying correctly. When I go to disk management you can see that there is 130.17 GB recognized however it isn't a part of the main C: partition like it was before. I know there is a method in Windows 7 to extend a partition to include additional space however in Windows XP when I right clicked on the unallocated 130.17 GB I could use the windows new partition wizard and create a primary partition, extended partition, or logical drive. I chose extended partition thinking this would merge it with the C: drive but it did not. It only shows it as available highlighted in green but it is not merged with the 13.68 GB that only shows on drive C:

As you can see in the picture, when I right click the space I want to add to drive C: I can delete the partition or create a new logical drive. Any idea on how to remedy this issue?

Thank you

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

I would delete the green/extended "free space" partition.

I would then use a 3d-party tool (I use Partition Master by EaseUS) to resize the C: partition.

The Win 7 tools are not provided in XP and do not function in the same manner.  The 3d-party partition/disk management tools work better for adjusting partition size than any of the Windows tools, IMO.

Louis

A drive with stated capacity of 160GB...really yields 149GB capacity in Windows.  Hard Drive Size Differential - http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=615 .

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#3 beto85

beto85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:00 PM

I would delete the green/extended "free space" partition.

I would then use a 3d-party tool (I use Partition Master by EaseUS) to resize the C: partition.

The Win 7 tools are not provided in XP and do not function in the same manner.  The 3d-party partition/disk management tools work better for adjusting partition size than any of the Windows tools, IMO.

Louis

A drive with stated capacity of 160GB...really yields 149GB capacity in Windows.  Hard Drive Size Differential - http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=615 .

Thank you Louis I tried EaseUS Partition Master and it worked.

The only issue left for me is that because I formatted the old HP Recovery Partition which is on H: to reinstall Windows XP Pro, when I ran Partition Master it chose by default drive H: to install instead of the usual C: drive where I always install programs.

Any idea on how to change this? I'm thinking of looking into control panel but not sure if there is a way to change the drive or partition to install new programs by default.

Thanks again!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

Just uninstall Partition Master.

If you need it again, reinstall it to whichever partition you want.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users