Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Malware disabled use of PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kath81

Kath81

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

Hi!

I'm new here, and hoping someone can help please.

I have a desktop PC running windows 7 to which I have admin rights.  Stupidly I installed some free music download software called "iSkysoft iMusic", and now we are unable to access any application. I know....I should have known better and feel pretty stupid!

All we are able to do is login to windows.  As soon as we log into our account and try to load or open anything at all (outlook, word, Internet, windows explorer etc etc) we get this error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

There are 3 other accounts on the PC - Hubby (with admin rights) and 2 kids (no admin rights) and all these accounts have the same issue.  I can't create a new account as I get the same message as above.

I have the restore disks that I created when I first got the PC a few years ago, but I have some files I'd like to avoid losing (pictures and letters etc etc - the usually family type stuff) so if possible I want to save these before wiping the hard disc.

I have some basic PC skills, but not confident with DOS commands etc, so go easy on me with instructions please ! :blush:

Many thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:28 AM

Welcome to BC....

Try booting into Safe Mode With Networking. If that allows you access to your installed programs....attempt to Uninstall that program.

If that doesn't work then attempt to do a System Restore using a Restore Point created prior to the install of the bad program. You may

have created a Windows 7 Repair Disc shortly after purchasing the computer that will boot the computer and allow you to perform a System Restore if

you are unable to do so in Safe Mode With Networking.

3 Ways to Do a System Restore - wikiHow

If you don't have a Windows 7 Repair Disc you can create one on any other Windows 7 machine if needed. Info in below link will tell you how

to create a Repair Disc and how to use it.

Create a system repair disc

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Kath81

Kath81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Buddy215, I'll give this a go and report back...

Cheers!

#4 Kath81

Kath81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hi Buddy215!  Going into the Safe mode enabled me to restore back to the previous version before I installed the dodgy software!

Thank you for your help!!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:03 AM

Very good...happy surfin'....you're welcome

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users