Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp - Forgotten Password , Download Problem .

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sandbear

sandbear

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Hi , I`ve got myself into a terrible predicament by forgetting my password . Any solution I can find seems to rely on me - a, being able to log on as an administrator which I can`t . I`m a guest on my own PC :thumbsup: .

Or b, being able to download a programme like this - http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ - which again I can`t as I downloaded Freshdevices Download Manager some time ago . After trying to remove this before losing my password I was left with parts of it which try to take over any download I attempt but are unable to complete it . I can`t find any way of removing the remaining parts manually as ... I`m a guest on my own PC ! :flowers: .

Yes , I`m an idiot for forgetting my PW but I`m now totally stuck and would greatly appreciate any help you can offer .

Edited by sandbear, 19 August 2006 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer sandbear. Posted Image
There are a few places to help you with your lost password,
Try this one,"How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expires" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;321305
A few more options listed in here - http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 sandbear

sandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Thanks very much for the advice and welcome , TMacK . I`ll keep trying but looks like I need professional help .

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

There is hope yet!
A small utility called Active@ Password Changer is designed to reset local administrator and user passwords in Windows XP. It is recommended in the Windows XP forum quite frequently and from what I can tell, there is a free "Demo" version.
If you decide to give it a try,let us know how it worked.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 sandbear

sandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for trying but again I`m cursed by that darned Freshdownload stuff I can`t get rid of . It seems to be the default for some downloads but not others . I can`t remove it and it can`t download anything ! .

If I had enough hair I`d be pulling it out ! .

Cheers

Edited by sandbear, 19 August 2006 - 06:35 PM.

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

Not sure if it would work or not, but what about doing a System Restore to a date before you downloaded the Freshdevices Download Manager? I really don't know anything about that utility.
Edit:If you wanted to just remove that program,have you gone to add/remove programs and tried remove it that way?

Edited by TMacK, 19 August 2006 - 06:52 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

Do you have access to another computer? You can download the program you need to a disk or thumb drive at that computer, and then install it on your computer from the disk. That way you get around your download issue. I do this all the time because I have dial-up.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 sandbear

sandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

Not sure if it would work or not, but what about doing a System Restore to a date before you downloaded the Freshdevices Download Manager? I really don't know anything about that utility.
Edit:If you wanted to just remove that program,have you gone to add/remove programs and tried remove it that way?

Can`t do a system restore or add/remove because I don`t have admin privileges , that is the catch-22 situation I`m in :thumbsup: .

Thanks again .

#9 sandbear

sandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

Do you have access to another computer? You can download the program you need to a disk or thumb drive at that computer, and then install it on your computer from the disk. That way you get around your download issue. I do this all the time because I have dial-up.

Thats a possibility . I could get someone else to download it for me . I got Freshdownload `cos it resumed downloads when I had dial-up , but never liked it and it seems to be a real so-and-so to remove completely .

Thanks , I`ll give it a try :flowers: .

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi sandbear

A few more ideas from members on passwords HERE.

Won't help you now unfortunately but may later.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

Thanx for posting that link rowal5555,I knew it was around here somewhere!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:42 AM

being able to log on as an administrator which I can`t .

Without an administrator account I doubt if any password recovery ap or process will work for you.

The best suggestion is to take the computer to a professional with proof of ownership and have them reset the admin password for you.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

Actually, there is a way to get on as an administrator even though you have forgotten your password and without using a password utility. I just did this, so I know it works.

Print out these directions as you will not have internet access and because you will not see the file on the desktop if pasted them into notepad and saved them on your desktop during part of this procedure.

Restart your computer and go into safe mode. Do this by tapping on the F8 key as soon as the first black screen comes up. Shortly thereafter, you will see a screen with several options. Use the cursor (arrow) keys to move up to Safe Mode. Hit enter. You will then see a screen that asks you to choose the operating system, even though there is only one, just hit enter.

You will see a list of drives etc. and there will be a pause. Then there will be a mostly black screen with safe mode in the lower corners and some text across the top of the screen. There will be a pause. Then you will be presented with a log on screen. On this screen, you will see an account called Administrator that you do not see when starting in normal mode. It will have the original system selected icon by it. This is the one you want to choose, as it doen't require a password. Please be patient as it will take much longer to load this one up. You will then see a black screen with a message box on it. Click on yes on the message box. Don't panic when you see far fewer icons on the screen that will come up. This is why you needed to print out these directions.

Now click on start then control panel. You will see a series of icons instead of the menu you usually see. Double click on user accounts. The icon is a representation of a couple people.

Now click on: Change an Account. Choose the account you forgot the password for. Now click on change password and change the password to one you will remember. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on the button named changed password. Close all the windows, restart into normal mode and you will now be able to log into your administrator account with the new password. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 sandbear

sandbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi Orange Blossom , thanks so much for going to all that trouble to help me .

I`ll keep trying but your solution doesn`t seem to work for me . When I tap F8 I get a boot menu . I can only get into safe mode by pressing F9 to exit , then tap F8 a few more times before getting the Windows Advanced Options Menu and safe mode is one of the 7 or 8 options . When I select safe mode I think I see the log on screen that you describe . There is an administrator icon ( green frog ) above my own log in icon and name - the one I can`t remember the password for - but when I click administrator the password window appears and I can get no further .

I have the media centre version of XP , maybe that explains it ? .

I hope everyone reading this learns from my mistake and takes the advice posted above . It is possible to forget passwords even if you think it will never happen , so always make a record somewhere !

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by sandbear, 20 August 2006 - 04:44 PM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

There is an administrator icon ( green frog ) above my own log in icon and name - the one I can`t remember the password for - but when I click administrator the password window appears and I can get no further .

Hmm. Okay - click on the green frog one again, but when you see the password screen simply hit enter and see what happens. The computers in the resource room at my volunteer job have a password screen that comes up when entering the area I go into, but we never enter passwords - we simply hit enter and it loads up, so this might work for you.

Good luck,

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users