Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unblockable spam?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doodlez

Doodlez

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:37 AM

Recently I've started receiving endless spam emails on my hotmail account that appear to be unstoppable.

They all appear to come from the same place as they all have the same blurb on the bottom but they are a whole range of different things (russian brides, bingo, injury claims, etc etc) I've tried unsubscribing on the link and also the ad itself often has its own unsubscribe but it has no effect. 

I've also tried blocking them through the hotmail/live website itself but that has no effect either. The email addresses they come from are really odd and have loads of hypens in and are different for every email. 

Short of just using a rule to filter out the emails using common subject lines I have run out of ideas so would really appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Thanks.

Example email address: 
f63160aadc3a04e808c3a75e48b8e11e@-----------------------------------------------------------.mailin.-----------------------------------------------------------.unpitious.-----------------------------------------------------------.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:31 AM

The easiest and typical way that many system block spam is by the "from" email address. This will not work in your case as that address is always changing.

So, unless Microsoft has more sophisticated ways to block spam, you might be out of luck. If they do have more sophisticated way, it might take some time for the system to "learn" pattern of these spam messages.

What do you mean they all have the same "blurb" on the bottom? If it is something unique enough to differentiate from legitimate messages and is repeated on all these spam messages, then it is possible you could use that blurb to create a filter. Of course, this would require your Hotmail account to allow for filters using the body of the email message, not just subjects and/or address fields. And I don't know if Hotmail permits that or not.

FWIW, if you know a message is truly a spam message from an unscrupulous/unethical individual (as I would argue the people sending you these spam messages), then I would recommend not bothering to do the whole unsubscribe link in the message. For such people, the unsubscribe link is really more of a "hey, there is a live person at the other end of the email address, so please send me even more spam messages". You should only use such unsubscribe links for message that you know are legit (i.e. you originally signed up for them either explicitly or indirectly by creating an account on a website) or are messages that might be from someone with some ethics that just mistakenly or intentionally added you to an email list, but that would remove you if asked. People sending you spam about Russian brides, etc are likely no where near ethical and thus are almost guaranteed to NOT honor your unsubscribe list.

#3 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:25 AM

The easiest and typical way that many system block spam is by the "from" email address. This will not work in your case as that address is always changing.

So, unless Microsoft has more sophisticated ways to block spam, you might be out of luck. If they do have more sophisticated way, it might take some time for the system to "learn" pattern of these spam messages.

What do you mean they all have the same "blurb" on the bottom? If it is something unique enough to differentiate from legitimate messages and is repeated on all these spam messages, then it is possible you could use that blurb to create a filter. Of course, this would require your Hotmail account to allow for filters using the body of the email message, not just subjects and/or address fields. And I don't know if Hotmail permits that or not.

FWIW, if you know a message is truly a spam message from an unscrupulous/unethical individual (as I would argue the people sending you these spam messages), then I would recommend not bothering to do the whole unsubscribe link in the message. For such people, the unsubscribe link is really more of a "hey, there is a live person at the other end of the email address, so please send me even more spam messages". You should only use such unsubscribe links for message that you know are legit (i.e. you originally signed up for them either explicitly or indirectly by creating an account on a website) or are messages that might be from someone with some ethics that just mistakenly or intentionally added you to an email list, but that would remove you if asked. People sending you spam about Russian brides, etc are likely no where near ethical and thus are almost guaranteed to NOT honor your unsubscribe list.

Thanks for mentioning the info regarding dodgy 'unsubscribe' links. I am a novice/rookie pc user and had a hunch about this. But to hear it from a member of staff here at BC confirms what I already suspected about clicking them possibly doing more harm than good. 

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

Hi:

I get precious little spam these days that is not caught by my ISP or webmail servers.  I receive no more than 1 or 2 per month....

But there is an excellent, 3rd-party application called Mailwasher Pro from Firetrust.

There is a free version (limited to a single email account, I think) and a paid version (~unlimited number of email accounts).

Each license may be activated on up to 3 PCs in the household.

It includes built-in, sophisticated, powerful spam-filtering and spam-reporting technology.

And it helps to protect you because you preview in plain text (and, if necessary, dispose of) all incoming email messages on the server, BEFORE they reach your computer.

So it provides an added layer of protection against both nuisance spam and potentially malicious emails/attachments.

From a productivity standpoint, it's also terrific because you can preview/reply/forward/delete all incoming messages in one configurable dashboard.
It works with both POP and IMAP accounts.

And the free, mobile version can be used to sync across multiple devices and multiple platforms.
(I have paid, legacy, lifetime licenses for the PC version nearly since the beta days, but do not personally use the mobile version.)

Excellent support, as well, from a small software company in NZ.

Again, I use it more as a productivity app than anything else, as I get very little spam.

But you might find it helps you with your current predicament.

Cheers,

MM (no affiliation and no financial relationship with Firetrust)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users