Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bed Time (Kids no WiFi / Mom, Dad WiFi)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZELTEC

ZELTEC

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:19 AM

I have a WRT1900ACS and Im trying to see if there is a way to disable the 5ghz signal (befor bedtime) which our kids use for ipods/ipads but leave the 2.4ghz on so mom and dad can still use wifi after kids scheduled wifi hours.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:15 AM

I have a WRT1900ACS and Im trying to see if there is a way to disable the 5ghz signal (befor bedtime) which our kids use for ipods/ipads but leave the 2.4ghz on so mom and dad can still use wifi after kids scheduled wifi hours.. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

The Linksys WRT1900ACS has parental controls. Those parental controls can be used to block access to the Internet during specific time periods to specific devices. Thus, you should be able to setup the parental controls for your kids' iPods/iPads and set them up such that they don't have Internet access after bedtime.

See page 23 of the manual for the instructions. If you don't have the manual anymore or can't find it, you can find it here:

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/WRT1900ACS_FUG_ENandFR-CA.pdf (even though a Belkin site, it is still the manual for the Linksys WRT1900ACS)
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?rnId=01t34000003qSgQAAU

Edited by smax013, 11 September 2016 - 02:17 AM.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

You will need to secure your router physically inside a locked ventilated  box or like my kids the router will get reset to factory so they can have unrestricted internet.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

I would also suggest changing the password on the router from default. Also, you can isolate router login to wired only under Connectivity > Administration > "Access via Wifi". This would stop them from getting in with a HTTP vulnerability of the web server on the router. If you wanted to go Fort Knoxs, you could buy a wired router that you could lock away like Wand3r3r suggests and use the Linksys as a AP. That way you are physically protecting the firewall (and parental controls) without giving up wireless strength(from being in a box).

#5 ZELTEC

ZELTEC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I setup the parental controls on the individual devices to block internet for the specific times. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users