Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse periodic freezes and DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 samnish

samnish

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:02 AM

Info:

OS: Windows 10 Pro AU x64 from Dreamspark (issues occur with both an AU updated from a recent pre-AU installation, as well as a fresh AU installation)

Age of hardware: Purchased in early Aug, started using in late Aug

CPU: i7-6850k

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB kit) 3200MHz C16 (using XMP profile)

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW * 2 SLI

MB: Gigabyte X99 Designare Ex

OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, and an extra Sandisk 960GB for data. No HDDs.

PSU: Seasonic SnowSilent 1050W

Desktop

Update before the issues:

Update 1: Just realized that I've been mistaking the XHCI hand-off as the XHCI setting, but there's actually an XHCI Mode setting on another page. I've changed XHCI Mode from Auto to Enabled, so far for one hour there has been no BSODs yet. The Sensei Wireless still freezes though, so there's probably still some issue remaining.

Update 2: Just noticed that when I turn on my webcam (while Skyping), all USB devices would be force disconnected after a few seconds. So USB devices are definitely still in trouble.

Issues:

I've purchased some new hardware over the summer, but only had time in late Aug to actually assemble all parts. When I first got the parts in early Aug, I ran Memtest86 where it didn't fail any test for an overnight run. At the time, Memtest86+ did come up with CPU failures though, something about not being able to start additional threads apart from the first one. But IntelBurnTest doesn't result in problems in Windows, so I ignored that.

Windows 10 AU was installed on Sept 1, my cursor occasionally froze, not moving and not registering clicks at all, until I unplug and replug the Steelseries Sensei Wireless (~2 years old). This problem happened on multiple USB ports, and happened both in wired or wireless mode, with or without Steelseries' software installed.

I did a lot of Googling, and found someone reporting freezing issues with Windows 10 AU, so I got an ISO of a pre-AU Windows 10 for a clean installation. Same issue. Upgraded back to AU through Windows Update. I have to note that the Sensei works perfectly fine on another computer, while a friend's Logitech G502 seemed to work on my PC in a short test. Under immense frustration, I went out and bought a Logitech G900.

Except, after using the G900 for a day, a weird periodic mouse freezing problem started showing up. This doesn't always happen, but when it does, every few seconds the cursor would freeze for a second or two. After the freeze, the cursor teleports to the correct position (which means the PC still receives signal from the mouse during the freeze, but it's not reflected on screen). During the freezes, Windows menu still comes up when I press Win key, so it's just the cursor that freezes, not the entire screen.

The problem intensified over the past week. Sept 5 saw the first DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD, BlueScreenView shows USBXHCI.SYS and ntoskrnl.exe as the culprits. XHCI handoff is enabled in BIOS. Disabled USB selective suspend setting to no avail, more crashes came. Over the days, I've been getting DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL about once or twice a day, and occasionally WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. None of the WHEA could create a crash dump, the screen just freezes at 0% indefinitely every time.

I used to have a bunch of Gigabyte Apps installed, but I saw a post saying they cause BSODs, so I uninstalled all of them. Didn't help. Tried disabling Thunderbolt, for science, but that didn't for either. Installed, uninstalled, and installed Realtek Drivers, no use. No 3rd party antivirus, only Windows Defender. Went through f3 and f4-beta BIOS on the GA X99 Designare Ex, no dice. I haven't really been gaming, but the PC never BSOD'd during the short and sparse gaming sessions. Usually happens when I'm web browsing (ironically, when looking for solutions to BSODs) or when the PC is completely idle.

Health Report:

SysnativeFileCollectionApp:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj8i1Eb8nCnzifBjz2VTGOiA1NIq7A

Perfmon:

Stuck at "collecting data for 60 seconds".

Please let me know if I could provide any more information to assist with diagnosing the problem. I've been sitting here pulling out hair ever since getting the computer built, I've spent many hours Googling but nothing solved the problem. I'm suspecting a motherboard fault right now - I really hope not as this would mean dealing with Gigabyte's customer support and potentially a lot of loops to jump through to get this board RMA'd. I gotta admit I've also been avoiding another Windows reinstallation over the week, as grad school just started and I've been scrambling to get my life together. But I will do another clean Windows 10 AU installation if really need be. Thank you very much for bearing through this long post. I'd really appreciate your help, thank you very much in advance!

Edited by samnish, 11 September 2016 - 04:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

After continuously trying to solve the problem over the entire weekend, I think I have finally figured out the problem.

I came about this post, which says that for X99 boards, you can monitor which mode (USB 2.0 or 3.0) the USB device is running on by checking device manager, after you've sorted it by connection. The post says:

UEFI: USB 3.0 Disabled

All USB ports (3.0 + 2.0) are mapped through the C610/X99 chipset EHCI host controller.

UEFI: USB 3.0 Enabled
All USB ports (3.0 + 2.0) are mapped through the Intel USB 3.0 extensible host controller (xHCI).

In my case, the UEFI USB setting is named "XHCI Mode", the available options are Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled, Disabled, or Manual.

When XHCI mode is set to enabled, USB device drop off is guaranteed to happen on my PC, and I could see that all devices connected to any USB port gets routed to Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller, at times even BSODs. When XHCI mode is disabled, all USB devices are routed to C610/X99 chipset EHCI host controller, where no USB dropouts nor BSODs occur.

According to discussions online, when setting XHCI mode to Auto, the system (I don't know whether it's the driver's or the MB's job) should be able to automatically route USB 2.0 devices to the C610/X99 chipset EHCI host controller, and USB 3.0 devices to the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller. However, in my case, setting it to Auto would still result in ALL devices routed to Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller.

Not wanting to give up on USB 3.0 connectivity altogether, I switched the XHCI Mode setting to Manual. Expectation was, I should be able to set each individual USB port to be either 2.0 or 3.0. Funnily enough, there are no dialogues or settings allowing me to do that. Whatever, I applied the setting. After booting into Windows, I find USB 2.0 devices correctly routed to C610/X99 chipset EHCI host controller, and 3.0 devices correctly routed to Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller. There have not been BSODs or USB dropouts throughout the night, so I take it as a good sign so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TD;DR: On my motherboard, setting XHCI Mode to "Enabled" forces USB 2.0 devices to be handled as 3.0, leading to dropouts or even BSODs. "Disabled" forces all USB devices to be handled as 2.0, no dropouts or BSODs, but losing 3.0 altogether. "Auto" is supposed to work, but doesn't. "Manual" is the one that works perfectly for me.

#3 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

Are you still having the problem?

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#4 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

Are you still having the problem?

-Pranav

Thanks for following up. The USB device hangup problem hasn't happened since then, but I'm getting a different problem now.

Once in a while (every 2 days or so), the entire PC screen would 1. freeze, then the PC restarts OR 2. freeze, and stay frozen until I hard reset the PC. There's no BSOD.

I don't really know where to start with diagnosing this issue. It happened this morning, where the PC froze and didn't restart. I waited 10 minutes or so before restarting the PC. Here's a link to an export of the events:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aj8i1Eb8nCnzifFxSKXlaAJt9gcOgQ

Please let me know what else I could provide to help you help me :). Thanks! 

Edited by samnish, 18 September 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#5 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

It is really late here. I will post a response with my analysis tomorrow :)

-Pranav

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#6 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:08 AM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

It is really late here. I will post a response with my analysis tomorrow :)

-Pranav

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help :).

Edit: allow me to add one more point in case this information helps with diagnosing the problem. After observing the behavior of the PC for another while, it seems like USB problems are still existing, and it might even be beyond just USB. There are two indicators:

1. I've recently gotten a Tobii EyeX sensor, it's a USB 3.0 device that has two infra red cameras that support Windows Hello and some other gaming features. There are times when after using the PC for a certain period of time (could be minutes, could be hours), the sensor starts dropping out and reconnecting. What's different now is that when the sensor drops out, other USB devices don't all join in the dropping party. Mouse, keyboard, etc. all still work, only the sensor drops out and reconnects automatically. Once that starts happening, it would go on and on until I restart the computer.

2. Audio. Like the Tobii, after using the PC for a random period of time, audio starts having short but frequent dropouts. I've tried using the onboard Realtek output, as well as two different USB DAC outputs on various USB ports. They've all exhibited this behaviour. 

May I also add that I've updated the Gigabyte Designare Ex BIOS version from F4b to F4c, didn't improve the situation :(.

Edited by samnish, 21 September 2016 - 01:13 AM.

#7 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

I checked the dump files and everyone is pointing towards the USB Devices.

1. I would like you to remove the Gigabyte Easy Saver utility from the system. Then see if the problem persists or not.
  2. Have you tried resetting back the BIOS to default settings?

I would like you to enable Driver Verifier by following the below guide -

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5470-driver-verifier-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

Please do note that once the Driver Verifier has been enabled, the system WILL CRASH! Let it crash 2-3 times and then disable it (Using the above guide). Now, run again the Sysnative App and post back the ZIP file :)

-Pranav

#8 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for your response! 

1. I looked at the apps and features list, as well as the installation directory of Gigabyte Easy Saver, can't find it anymore. I might have uninstalled it over the past week as one of the many diagnosing steps - anyway, it doesn't seem to be there anymore!

2. I've tried booting into Windows after updating the BIOS to F4c without tweaking any settings, and found that USB 2.0 devices were being routed to the Intel USB 3.0 extensible host controller. Since that has previously been problematic, I just went back to BIOS and changed the XHCI settings back to manual - like before - so both USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices work.

3. Here's the big new problem: after enabling driver verifier, I rebooted the PC. Subsequently, it'd BSOD ~10 seconds after I log in, with the message "system thread exception not handled". After 3 BSODs, I tried disabling verifier in recovery mode through CMD using the method listed on the tutorial, same BSOD (disabled using the command verifier /bootmode resetonbootfail). Only when I entered safe mode did the BSOD stop happening.

I've attached the sysnative file collection output with this reply, please let me know if there's anything else that I could send you. I haven't gone ahead to directly reinstall Windows, because I want to try to find out what's causing all the problems with the current set up, such that I would avoid triggering this same problem next time.

Once again I really appreciate your help. I hope the sysnative files contain enough information this time to point to the culprit!

Edit: just want to quickly add that the PC doesn't crash in safe mode (barebone safe mode).

Attached Files

Edited by samnish, 21 September 2016 - 10:47 PM.

#9 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:47 AM

As weekend approaches, I have to get the machine back up and running to be productive at home, so I've reinstalled Windows. But I would still very much love to hear what's your take on latest dumps, so to perhaps identify what's causing the issues. Thank you for your continual help! On the other hand, I'll report back about how well new installation runs :).

Update: Unfortunately, after reinstallation of Windows, USB devices are still occasionally reconnecting themselves. It hasn't resulted in crashes yet, but USB reconnections themselves are annoying enough and do serve as indication of bigger problems to come eventually...

Edited by samnish, 24 September 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#10 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

Each and every dump file generated by the Driver Verifier is pointing towards HIDCLASS.sys. Furthermore, all of the have the following characteristics -

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)
This is a very common bugcheck.  Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem.  Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003.  This means a hard
coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
/NODEBUG.  This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
system is booted /DEBUG.  This will let us see why this breakpoint is
happening.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffffffc0000005, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: fffff8031070f81d, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: ffffbc81b679ef78, Exception Record Address
Arg4: ffffbc81b679e7a0, Context Record Address

All have the same exception code i.e. ffffffffc0000005 ( STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION )

This means that there is a driver which is trying to access memory which is either not valid or does not belong to the driver. I would suggest you to unplug all the USB devices and see if the system is running stable or not.

If you are experiencing disconnection with the USB devices even after the format, have you checked the motherboard? Any physical abuse?

Also, has this problem been happening since the day you built this system?

-Pranav

#11 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:26 PM

Hi Samnish ^_^,

Each and every dump file generated by the Driver Verifier is pointing towards HIDCLASS.sys. Furthermore, all of the have the following characteristics -

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)
This is a very common bugcheck.  Usually the exception address pinpoints
the driver/function that caused the problem.  Always note this address
as well as the link date of the driver/image that contains this address.
Some common problems are exception code 0x80000003.  This means a hard
coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but this system was booted
/NODEBUG.  This is not supposed to happen as developers should never have
hardcoded breakpoints in retail code, but ...
If this happens, make sure a debugger gets connected, and the
system is booted /DEBUG.  This will let us see why this breakpoint is
happening.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffffffffc0000005, The exception code that was not handled
Arg2: fffff8031070f81d, The address that the exception occurred at
Arg3: ffffbc81b679ef78, Exception Record Address
Arg4: ffffbc81b679e7a0, Context Record Address

All have the same exception code i.e. ffffffffc0000005 ( STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION )

This means that there is a driver which is trying to access memory which is either not valid or does not belong to the driver. I would suggest you to unplug all the USB devices and see if the system is running stable or not.

If you are experiencing disconnection with the USB devices even after the format, have you checked the motherboard? Any physical abuse?

Also, has this problem been happening since the day you built this system?

-Pranav

Thank you very much for your reply! Yesterday I got one restart, but for the rest of the day it was smooth sailing (never been this smooth in a long time). But this morning as I turn on the PC, my tobii eyeX tracker has been disconnecting again. I've unplugged it for now to see whether other USB devices are still affected.

The system has been problematic ever since I built it indeed. At first, with XHCI set to auto, all USB devices (2.0 and 3.0) would be routed to the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, which in my understanding shouldn't happen, because 2.0 devices should be routed to the Intel C610 series/X99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller. With all of them routed to the 3.0 controller, my PC would BSOD from USBXHCI.SYS. The routing is only proper when I switched the setting of XHCI from auto to manual.

After solving the XHCI BSOD problem, the remaining problem was the USB disconnection and occasional restart w/o BSOD. 

I've included the event log from this morning, I see a few entries pointing to the Tobii eyeX device, although I don't quite get what's the actual problem. Could you please take a look and see what you could gather out of it?

Once again, I absolutely appreciate your help. Thank you very much for going through this with me :).

Attached Files

#12 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thank you very much for your reply! Yesterday I got one restart, but for the rest of the day it was smooth sailing (never been this smooth in a long time). But this morning as I turn on the PC, my tobii eyeX tracker has been disconnecting again. I've unplugged it for now to see whether other USB devices are still affected.

The system has been problematic ever since I built it indeed. At first, with XHCI set to auto, all USB devices (2.0 and 3.0) would be routed to the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, which in my understanding shouldn't happen, because 2.0 devices should be routed to the Intel C610 series/X99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller. With all of them routed to the 3.0 controller, my PC would BSOD from USBXHCI.SYS. The routing is only proper when I switched the setting of XHCI from auto to manual.

After solving the XHCI BSOD problem, the remaining problem was the USB disconnection and occasional restart w/o BSOD. 

I've included the event log from this morning, I see a few entries pointing to the Tobii eyeX device, although I don't quite get what's the actual problem. Could you please take a look and see what you could gather out of it?

Once again, I absolutely appreciate your help. Thank you very much for going through this with me :).

Greetings Samnish ^_^,

I just checked those log files and it seems that the hardware is malfunctioning. I saw errors related to unexpected shutdowns, registry corruptions etc. This should not be the case on a system which has been formatted recently.

The restart without BSODs are the toughest to troubleshoot. Since you have already formatted the system and admitted that the problems have been there since you built the system, I am going to point my finger towards the hardware. I would like you to run the following free diagnostics (Thanks usasma! ) -

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please let me know the results of the tests.

Also, please make sure that the power supply to the system is proper i.e. no surges or spikes.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Pranav

#13 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:31 AM

Greetings Samnish ^_^,

I just checked those log files and it seems that the hardware is malfunctioning. I saw errors related to unexpected shutdowns, registry corruptions etc. This should not be the case on a system which has been formatted recently.

The restart without BSODs are the toughest to troubleshoot. Since you have already formatted the system and admitted that the problems have been there since you built the system, I am going to point my finger towards the hardware. I would like you to run the following free diagnostics (Thanks usasma! ) -

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please let me know the results of the tests.

Also, please make sure that the power supply to the system is proper i.e. no surges or spikes.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Pranav

Hi blueelvis,

Thanks for your response again. I've previously done 8 passes of Memtest86+, so there's that. I was running Prime95 (custom test set to 31GB of RAM, since I have 32GB) just now and got a freeze - but this freeze is the same behavior as the normal freezes that I get usually, so I can't tell whether this is due to hardware or really Prime95 finding a problem. The CPU temperature stayed in check between 50-60, so at least this won't be CPU temperature related. 

On the other hand, I use a Samsung 850 EVO as my boot drive, Samsung Magician indicates that it's in good health. How would you go about testing the rest of the hard drive? 

It also sounds increasingly like this is a hardware fault. I have filed a support ticket with Gigabyte just now, including a detailed description of the observation so far and what I've done to diagnose the problem. I've been avoiding to go through the RMA process for the longest time, but at this point, I think I'll have to give it a shot. Please stick with me a little longer, until Gigabyte gives me a respond, I'll still try to figure out what's going on with the PC!

UPDATE: Just got the first BSOD in a while, this time it's "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" :(. First, my speakers (connected to a USB DAC) started getting short and rapid dropouts. After two minutes, the computer just froze and showed the BSOD. Unfortunately, it wasn't able to generate a BSOD log, the screen was stuck at 0% the entire time. I had to force a reset using the power button. The hardware has not been overclocked, though turbo boost is turned on. I've turned it off for now to see how it goes.

Edited by samnish, 27 September 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#14 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

Hi blueelvis,

Thanks for your response again. I've previously done 8 passes of Memtest86+, so there's that. I was running Prime95 (custom test set to 31GB of RAM, since I have 32GB) just now and got a freeze - but this freeze is the same behavior as the normal freezes that I get usually, so I can't tell whether this is due to hardware or really Prime95 finding a problem. The CPU temperature stayed in check between 50-60, so at least this won't be CPU temperature related.

On the other hand, I use a Samsung 850 EVO as my boot drive, Samsung Magician indicates that it's in good health. How would you go about testing the rest of the hard drive?

It also sounds increasingly like this is a hardware fault. I have filed a support ticket with Gigabyte just now, including a detailed description of the observation so far and what I've done to diagnose the problem. I've been avoiding to go through the RMA process for the longest time, but at this point, I think I'll have to give it a shot. Please stick with me a little longer, until Gigabyte gives me a respond, I'll still try to figure out what's going on with the PC!

UPDATE: Just got the first BSOD in a while, this time it's "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR" :(. First, my speakers (connected to a USB DAC) started getting short and rapid dropouts. After two minutes, the computer just froze and showed the BSOD. Unfortunately, it wasn't able to generate a BSOD log, the screen was stuck at 0% the entire time. I had to force a reset using the power button. The hardware has not been overclocked, though turbo boost is turned on. I've turned it off for now to see how it goes.

Greetings Samnish ^_^,

I don't think that there is a problem with the Hard Disk.

Atleast we got a different BSOD. That means that there was an error with the hardware which caused Windows to crash.

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). 
That's the exact description from the Debugger Help Manual.

Any chance you got the dump file created? Can you run the SysnativeApp again and then upload it here? There is a high chance that your CPU is at fault because I have seen this bugcheck generally in cases where the processor is bad. But yes, I have seen some exceptions as well.

Turbo Boost is not supposed to affect the stability of the system.

Upload the dump file (If it is there and I can check out what is wrong with it).

And don't worry, I am here to resolve your problem ;)

-Pranav

#15 samnish

samnish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hi blueelvis,

Greetings Samnish ^_^,

I don't think that there is a problem with the Hard Disk.

Atleast we got a different BSOD. That means that there was an error with the hardware which caused Windows to crash.

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA). 
That's the exact description from the Debugger Help Manual.

Any chance you got the dump file created? Can you run the SysnativeApp again and then upload it here? There is a high chance that your CPU is at fault because I have seen this bugcheck generally in cases where the processor is bad. But yes, I have seen some exceptions as well.

Turbo Boost is not supposed to affect the stability of the system.

Upload the dump file (If it is there and I can check out what is wrong with it).

And don't worry, I am here to resolve your problem ;)

-Pranav

Thank you once again! When you say CPU problem, do you mean the CPU itself? Or could it be related to the motherboard too?

Since the CPU passes stress tests without a sweat, I'm inclined to think that it should be performing fine. Have you ever seen a CPU that did pass stress tests but still end up being the part of the system that causes instability?

For the BSOD, the counter was stuck at 0% for a long time, so I had to shut it down manually. I have yet to check whether a dump was generated, will do so after I get home tonight!

Edit: Unfortunately, there was no BSOD dump file generated :(. Today I've reseated all of the power cables, internal USB headers, as well as the graphics cards. Fingers crossed that it would work at all, but hey it's worth a shot...

Still curious about your experience with failed CPUs (where it's the CPU's fault instead of motherboard) :)!

Edited by samnish, 28 September 2016 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users