Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 - Seemingly Random Crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Revvy

Revvy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:38 PM

I have checked out a couple similar threads, and nothing in them seemed relevant or helpful to me. I tried a few solutions already, but they are hard to describe, mostly updating drivers and using utilities to make sure I my various drivers were actually up to date.

Anyway, I am running Windows 10 (64 bit) as the title reads.

My system specs are as follows:
Intel Core i5-4570 @3.2-GHz
16GB DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
MSI|Z87-G45 GAMING

My issue is as follows:

Seemingly, without pattern, my machine will lock up for about 2 minutes and eventually BSOD with the "DPC_Watchdog_Violation" text on it, forcing me to reboot. This happens about once a day on average, but sometimes a day will be skipped, or I will experience several crashes in one day. My temperatures are all normal and sustainable, and my drivers are all seemingly up to date. This started happening after I upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade from Windows 7.

This has been an ongoing issue, and I would greatly appreciate it resolved.

Here is my most recent dump file.

Here is my MSinfo.

Thank you in advance. This has been plaguing me for weeks and I cannot reliably use my machine at risk of losing data or progress. 

EDIT: Additionally, I wanted to add that I suspect some driver issues but I have no idea how to identify the faulty driver. I also experienced some crashes today that did not write minidumps, however I did force a crash using the software "WhoCrashed" and it did write a dump, so I am not sure why it didn't with the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION crash.

Edited by Revvy, 11 September 2016 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

It seems to be the result of either an iastor.sys or storahci.sys driver, which may not be compatible with Windows 10. If the driver fix doesn't work then I expect only a windows update may help.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/bluescreen-error-dpcwatchdogviolation/100cb707-0716-40d4-88a8-7bf9dd8f836d?page=1

'This error may occur due to the iastor.sys driver, which is not fully compatible with Windows 10.

Microsoft is currently investigating a solution to prevent the driver from being migrated when upgrading to Windows 10. For those of you already on Windows 10, you can work around this error by replacing the problematic driver with the Microsoft storahci.sys driver by following these steps:

Right-click the Start icon and select Device Manager.
Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
Select the controller with SATA AHCI in its name (such as Standard SATA AHCI Controller). To verify that youve selected the right controller, right-click the controller, select Properties, click the Driver tab, and then Driver Details. Verify that iastor.sys is a listed driver, and click OK.

From the Driver tab, select Update Driver
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Select Standard SATA AHCI Controller.
Click Next, then Close, and then restart your computer.'

Edited by thedarkness, 11 September 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Revvy

Revvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:06 PM

It seems to be the result of either an iastor.sys or storahci.sys driver, which may not be compatible with Windows 10. If the driver fix doesn't work then I expect only a windows update may help.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/bluescreen-error-dpcwatchdogviolation/100cb707-0716-40d4-88a8-7bf9dd8f836d?page=1

'This error may occur due to the iastor.sys driver, which is not fully compatible with Windows 10.

Microsoft is currently investigating a solution to prevent the driver from being migrated when upgrading to Windows 10. For those of you already on Windows 10, you can work around this error by replacing the problematic driver with the Microsoft storahci.sys driver by following these steps:

Select the controller with SATA AHCI in its name (such as Standard SATA AHCI Controller). To verify that youve selected the right controller, right-click the controller, select Properties, click the Driver tab, and then Driver Details. Verify that iastor.sys is a listed driver, and click OK.

It seems that I do not have an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller drop down in my device manager. 

Any tips in that case? 

#4 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Someone on TomsHardware links to this program, which may help point to the driver at fault. Other than the above suggestion from microsoft, some people have managed to fix the system by changing settings in their bios as a last resort, but I wouldn't recommend that if disabling the problematic driver is a possibility-especially if it's one that is not necessary for your system. I don't know if this program needs to be run in the background until your next bsod or if it checks error logs, but it might be worth a shot :- http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_screenshots.htm

update-some people point to drivers for wireless plug and play usb devices being related to the problem. If you have a wireless usb gamepad or similar device, you could temporarily disable the driver (or unplug the device,or both) to see if that is causing the bsod. Others with the error on the above site state broadcom drivers that may be in need of an update (wifi adapter driver). You have probably done it already but I would check the device manager to see if any devices have compatibility notifications, or if any unknown unnecessary drivers are present that you can disable. Another example, someone here mentions that their phone via usb was at fault, and plugging it into another port solved the problem

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2630153/dpc-watchdog-violation-bsod-occurring-minutes-launching-game.html

Edited by thedarkness, 11 September 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#5 Revvy

Revvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:44 PM

Someone on TomsHardware links to this program, which may help point to the driver at fault. Other than the above suggestion from microsoft, some people have managed to fix the system by changing settings in their bios as a last resort, but I wouldn't recommend that if disabling the problematic driver is a possibility-especially if it's one that is not necessary for your system. I don't know if this program needs to be run in the background until your next bsod or if it checks error logs, but it might be worth a shot :- http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_screenshots.htm

update-some people point to drivers for wireless plug and play usb devices being related to the problem. If you have a wireless usb gamepad or similar device, you could temporarily disable the driver (or unplug the device,or both) to see if that is causing the bsod. Others with the error on the above site state broadcom drivers that may be in need of an update (wifi adapter driver). You have probably done it already but I would check the device manager to see if any devices have compatibility notifications, or if any unknown unnecessary drivers are present that you can disable. Another example, someone here mentions that their phone via usb was at fault, and plugging it into another port solved the problem

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2630153/dpc-watchdog-violation-bsod-occurring-minutes-launching-game.html

I actually have WhoCrashed installed, and it returns the following message: 

On Fri 9/2/2016 7:47:11 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\090216-9906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x142940) 
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue). 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

#6 Revvy

Revvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:15 PM

Is it possible that it could be the SATA AHCI drivers even if I don't have that drop down in my device manager?

#7 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

The website above mentioned that windows 10 initially had problems with IDE drivers, so an SATA ahci controller driver issue is possible. For your error I think drivers in relation to a SSD hard drives have been mentioned, but no fixes for the bsod stated other than 'update your drivers' with the fix from my initial post.

Perhaps your system motherboard does not have IDE slots and that is why nothing shows up. Is SATA mode set to ahci in your bios? It should be.

I would not change SATA mode from AHCI to IDE, as this could break your system (you would be unable to boot). If it isn't set to AHCI and you change to AHCI, you may also receive a bsod if drivers aren't enabled properly, although this may only refer to vista and 7 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

I don't know what else it could be. Whats your highest temperatures for cpu,gpu whilst playing a game or something intensive. Does the bsod happen if you just log in and leave the system alone? Is your bios up to date? Have you used the device manager options to search for updated drivers, expanded all entries to see if there's a IDE or SATA ahci option after view > show hidden devices? I would have still tried unplugging unnecessary usb devices or disabling plug and play drivers one by one to test though. ps I think your bsod dmp file is missing above for anyone to go through

#8 Revvy

Revvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

The website above mentioned that windows 10 initially had problems with IDE drivers, so an SATA ahci controller driver issue is possible. For your error I think drivers in relation to a SSD hard drives have been mentioned, but no fixes for the bsod stated other than 'update your drivers' with the fix from my initial post.

Perhaps your system motherboard does not have IDE slots and that is why nothing shows up. Is SATA mode set to ahci in your bios? It should be.

I would not change SATA mode from AHCI to IDE, as this could break your system (you would be unable to boot). If it isn't set to AHCI and you change to AHCI, you may also receive a bsod if drivers aren't enabled properly, although this may only refer to vista and 7 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

I don't know what else it could be. Whats your highest temperatures for cpu,gpu whilst playing a game or something intensive. Does the bsod happen if you just log in and leave the system alone? Is your bios up to date? Have you used the device manager options to search for updated drivers, expanded all entries to see if there's a IDE or SATA ahci option after view > show hidden devices? I would have still tried unplugging unnecessary usb devices or disabling plug and play drivers one by one to test though. ps I think your bsod dmp file is missing above for anyone to go through

Highest temps are typically under 50 C rarely, they will get up to ~60 C. 

It happens most often when playing Overwatch, but it can happen when the system is not doing anything intensive, and even more rarely, when it is idle. My BIOS should be up to date, I remember doing that as part of my initial troubleshooting. I have searched automatically for every single driver in my Device Manager before. 

Here is a BSOD file from last night.

Edited by Revvy, 13 September 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#9 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

With whocrashed, are you able to trace back to the original bsod when it started occuring frequently, and note the date? Did you start using any new programs at that time - devices, install a new hard drive, or update any drivers? I have tried bluescreenview with your dmp as a user suggests here with a watchdog violation, but some information may be missing (I am on linux at the moment). The program may be able to load all of your past dmp files and trace the problem back. That post also links to minitoolbox which does a similar job, and speccy to list your current hardware specs. I forgot to mention your peak hard drive temperatures above, whilst running intensive software. After a search it would seem ntoskrnl sometimes points to memory issues but I'm sure there could be many possibilities for the problem. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. You could also check your memory with MemTest

Aside from what I assume were your loaded dlls at the time, bluescreenview shows (for me anyway)

==================================================
Dump File         : 091316-9718-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 13/09/2016 06:12:53
Bug Check String  :
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000133
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000001
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00001e00
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+142940
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+142940
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : Z:\home\SM\Desktop\091316-9718-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 10586
Dump File Size    : 300,798
Dump File Time    : 13/09/2016 20:19:25
==================================================

Edited by thedarkness, 13 September 2016 - 04:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users