Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun Help (desperatly)required By 70 Year Old

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 allreet

allreet

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

hello,This is my first ever post, after reading several documents on this website I have come to the conclusion that I am out of my depth and would be better asking for help on here
.So.... I have downloaded Autorun and run the programm succesfully BUT I am at a loss as to where to start(I have read the various articles on the subject,alas these make little sense to me) There are soo many files and I do not know where to begin and my typing really is NOT good so I do not think comparing using the database would be suitable for me, Help would be greatfully appreciated (if you have the patience)but probably difficult for you to give to an old like me, maybe just point me right way,Thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:24 AM

What precisely are you trying to do with Autorun? I think if we knew what purpose you are going to use it for, it might help us to guide you through the process.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer allreet!
You might find some useful information in this Micro$oft article that is an overview of the AutoRun Application.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 allreet

allreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

Sincere Thank you`s to TMack AND jgweed for the reply,

My computer has been acting very strangely of late ie, new programms showing up in start menu ,slow at performing previously quick tasks etc It has been suggested to me that maybe my machine has been hacked or somesuch so I have tried to go as far as I can to rectify this and found this site (eventually)
I think, after reading various posts/article`s that my fears are true SO I downloaded autorun to check if there are any suspect files automaticaly starting etc but that is as far as I can go with it as my typing isnt great and the thought of cross checking all those files that show up in autorun fills me with dread.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:53 AM

Have you read the article written by jgweed in the BC Forum called Slow Computer?Use this Troubleshooting Checklist.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 allreet

allreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

Thank you for your swift response(again) TMack, I will read it as soon as I am able and get back to you at some point to let you know how I have got on, again thank you for taking your time to reply. :thumbsup:

#7 allreet

allreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Wow . ok this is what has happened after reading the very good link (Thank you)

Ran Registryfix v5.5 which showed errors that may cause general instability etc etc .So, I did as the programm suggested and re -installed the software (which was my anti virus) after this I again ran the programm which said ..105 total problems of which80 where fixable using the trial version and sadly 25 that where not,I fixed the fixable and carried on with the suggestions from jgweed (via TMacks link ,thank`s agian for that).

Suggestion`s Such as cleaning your hard disk by means of removing un used or unnessasary programms.

Accidentaly(it had to happen) I deleted a file for windvd (a decoder apparently) and now the dvd wont play dvd`s but will play audio!.

I then went on to install some anti spyware which subsequently removed some 'tracking cookie`s' 14 in total, after this I went on to defragment the hard disc ,

Then using both options with scandisk/repair disk,repaired and recovered the disc,did a finall check with the spyware and it unfortunately (and to my dissapointment) showed81 problems with file association`s ,32 in complete registery scan and 6 invalid shortcut`s,
Sir I am again at the end of what I know and turn to yourself`s for advice, all of which is appreciated I can assure you, as I am learning a great deal from all this what I have done with the computer tonight

I am away on to my bed now as it is past midnight :thumbsup: .Regards, allreet.

Edited by allreet, 19 August 2006 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

Do you have a Windows XP installation cd?

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO YOUR REGISTRY without getting expert advice (especially when using any sort of "cleaning" application), and if you do make changes, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a back up file before you do so.

I suggest you first download, install, and then update both Ad-AwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy if you have not already done so. This should be your first step before using any other application. Links to these free, and very good anti-spyware applications can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 allreet

allreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hello again, Thanks again for replying.

To answer Enthusiasts question I do not have any of the origanal disc`s as I was given this machine and the origanal owner kept them.

jgweed: I have downloaded,updated both Ad Aware and Spy Bot S&S which subsequently found some tracking cookies which have now been removed.
To answer your origanal question(regarding Autorun) correctly jgweed I would like to find out if any(malicious) programm`s are starting up automacticly and causing my system problem`s
As I am still thinking someone or something is affecting this computer of mine especially after doing all of the defragmenting, and general maintenance I have performed such as adding and running anti spyware/adware etc etc etc( which has been an eye opener and a very enjoyable educational experience).
I understand that possibly a re install is required(what is your opinion) but as I dont have the nessasary to facilitate that I am at a loss as to what to do next other than try and find a solution by yet more maintenance of some discription.
As ever your help is valued and appreciated,Regards,allreet.

EDIT>>I have not removed any Registry file`s.

Edited by allreet, 20 August 2006 - 04:39 PM.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:54 PM

Can you get the discs from the original owner? If this was an OEM installation, it is required that the associated discs are provided when the computer changes hands. In addition license agreements usually require that all back-up discs etc. be provided when transferring the software to another user and the original owner should retain no copies.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 allreet

allreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hello Orange Blossom,
I think I should have explained a little better please excuse my inexperience.

I have no installation disc`s as the computer was given to me As the origanal owner is not around any more and upon the house clearence the computer was offered to me and I accepted as there was no charge for it and I thought I would give computing a try I accepted,All i got was the machine and a screen keyboard and a mouse.
I did not know anything else was needed *(in fact I did not know how to turn it on 6 month`s ago).

If there where any disc`s one can only imagine that they have been discarded during the clearence ,Would it be possible to obtain these disc`s again from the machine`s manufacturer? and excuse my ignorance but why do I need them (or is that for a re install?)
Regard`s allreet

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

The discs are needed in case you need to either repair or reinstall the operating system of the computer, which is why Enthusiast asked if you had them. Every software program you have and any document you create should have back-up discs in case something goes wrong, and sometimes if the material is very important having two backups is a good idea. I'm still kicking myself about a thumbdrive (a storage device that you can plug into the computer and can carry on a key chain) I lost with three years worth of work on it, and some of these files were the only copies I had - I didn't even have hard-copies (that is a copy on paper).

Given your particular situation, there should be a means of acquiring the needed back-up discs. Some of our other members, such as Enthusiast, have more knowledge on that than I do and will be able to direct you on various means of getting reinstallation or back-up discs of the operating system.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 allreet

allreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

Thank you Orange Blossom,

So I take it as... you think that a re-install is what I should be aiming to do to sort out these problem`s.

I understand the nessesity to do back up`s and I have done one or two (believe it or not) just music and such as all I really do is use the internet and listen to music .I don`t use my computer for making a living (as I am now retired)
I am sorry to hear about your lost drive and take your advice on board.

I did not realise I needed to back up the whole system, THANK YOU for yet another peice of education( you know I am really enjoying this) .
How would one go about backing up the entire system, As my understanding(of back up`s) at this moment is to burn my music onto a cd disc in case of a problem with the computer.

Is the best idea a Re-install?
I must say that I do find the prospect a little daunting,but sure that it will be an education

But that said I do like it to work as it should and it is not at the moment hence my presence here.

Again, Thank you to those of you that have responded to my query, Regard`s and I look forward to your reply`s

Edited by allreet, 20 August 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

you think that a re-install is what I should be aiming to do to sort out these problem`s.

No, no, and no. A repair maybe, but that is very different from a re-install. I've never done a reinstall of the operating system yet and hope I never have to. I have had to reinstall specific programs.

Back-ups regarding software programs: the easiest is simply to order a back-up disk when ordering the software. If you get the software via a download, download one to the computer's hard-drive, and download one to a disk, or perhaps two disks. The downloads on your disks will be your back-up, and you can certainly burn these back-up files onto a CD.

As for other kinds of back-ups - such as e-mail, profiles, databases with financial software and other things, again I must defer to more experienced hands. I'm still learning how to do it.

Again, there are ways of getting CD's of the operating system: I'm certain one of our other members will see this thread and instruct you in how to get them.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users