Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

I have this listing in the maintenance section, but it does not say what device they are referring to, everything is working ok and the only things connected are my logitech wireless mouse, my USB keyboard and my headphones.

Attached File  Device.jpg   10.1KB   0 downloads

Should I just ignore it or let windows install the software, I am running 8.1 64 bit.

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

See if anything shows in the Reliability Monitor around the time you get that Maintenance error

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-windows-8-reliability-monitor

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

It still does not say what device they are referring too, just the option to install, and if they mean drivers I don't let windows install driver updates, I use the manufactures site, I will not install software unless I know exactly what it is for.

Moe_P

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

The simplest way to find out what device has the problem is to go into 'Device Manager' - 'Win Key+X - Control panel - Device manager (in the top left hand corner)' - and have a look. You are looking for any entries that have a yellow exclamation mark or a red cross against them. If there are any such entries expand the heading to find out exactly which device needs drivers. If it is a system type device than you can right click on the entry and go to the 'Drivers' tab and just select install drivers. This is for things like mice, keyboards and CD drives which nearly all use generic Windows drivers.

If it turns out to be a proprietary device - audio, ethernet, video, etc. - then you can get the item model from the entry and go to the manufacturer's site to download the drivers.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:23 PM

ok, this is what device manager shows, there are no yellow exclamation mark or a red cross against them.

Attached File  Device.jpg   82.77KB   0 downloads

Moe_P

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:06 PM

Well, that's one good idea shot down in flames !

Your screenshot certainly shows that Device Manager doesn't seem to have problems with anything so I would be inclined to ignore this one. I fully agree with your approach to driver updates, only update drivers when you find problems with a device. This is not an attitude that MS takes, they believe that you should always have the latest and greatest drivers - regardless of whether or not they break your devices.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Chris, just wondering, would be ok to remove the notifications  ? or should I just leave them.

Moe_P

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Unless the notifications become seriously annoying or frequent - in which case it would be worth your while to dig a bit to find the cause - I would just ignore them. Just close the pop-up and carry o n as usual.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

Thanks, haven't seen it again yet so I won't worry about it.

Moe_P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users