Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista to win7 problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2Tired2Tango

2Tired2Tango

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:04 PM

Im currently running vista 32bit which i installed from a disc. been using it for many years,   i created another partition and downloaded a windows 7 pro iso 32bit and installed it using a virtual clone drive. I tried burning a dvd and usb but couldnt get it to work  (I had similar problems, missing files, bootmgr missing etc and this was from Microsoft's official site.

so this was how i did it.

http://www.intowindows.com/installing-windows-7-without-using-dvdusb-drive-method-2/.

Everything was great and i had win7 up and running got all the updates etc restarted loads of times to install the updates etc

But when i switched the windows7 partition to active (hoping to get rid of vista some time soon)  i restarted my pc and i just get the message BOOTMGR is missing so it wont boot up, and i have to use a rescue disc to change it back to vista as the active partition. 

Does anybody know what could be the problem, Its been doing my head in all day  

Edited by 2Tired2Tango, 10 September 2016 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

You installed a vrtual O/S...and you now want to delete the primary/original O/S...on which the virtual O/S depends?

II that correct?  If so, I think that there's a dependency that you wish to ignore.

Louis

#3 2Tired2Tango

2Tired2Tango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

Im not sure i follow Louis, im a bit of a noob at this. :lol:

My vista is installed on the C hard drive,   I partitioned that drive and created another drive E and installed win7 on that so basically i have 2 operating systems installed. but on 2 drives if you follow, When i boot up i get the option to boot into either one 

I thought they would operate completely separate of each other    

I uploaded an image of the drives. It might explain things better  

Attached Files

Edited by 2Tired2Tango, 10 September 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:20 PM

I am not sure what you meant by Virtual Clone Drive. I would have created the blank E partition and installed Windows 7. It should have added an entry to your BCD.

I think at this point your best bet would be to have Vista boot correctly. Download EasyBCD, free for home use. Run EasyBCD and add an entry to the BCD for Windows 7. When booting you should get a screen giving your the option to boot either Vista or Windows 7.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/adding-entries/

Click the Add Entry button. Select Windows 7 in the dropdown box and for the Drive select E: in the dropdown box.

EasyBCD_Adding_Entries.png

#5 2Tired2Tango

2Tired2Tango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:09 AM

Thanks John Ill give that a try, 

The virtual clone drive just adds a virtual DVD drive to your system. When you mount the ISO file to it you can install the OS in the normal way just like you are installing from a DVD/USB 

It basically saves me having to burn the image to dvd/usb  

As i said i do get the options to boot to either Vista or Win7 at the boot screen and they both work great, its only when in win7 i go into the computer management and click the Mark petition as active i get the problem.

and at boot up i get the  BOOTMGR is missing press Ctrl-ALT-Del to restart  

Attached Files

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:57 AM

If the bootmgr is missing, it is normal, because You can have only one and it is on the main drive (primary drive). Simply add it to drive E and make this drive primary.
Now it is better if You make drive C as logical and rename the bootmgr for example to bootmgr.bak or what ever You want.
You may try to use the same bootmgr from C, but maybe there are some differences, so then You must use bootmgr taken from Windows 7 CD/DVD.
I do not have any possibility to test but so it should work.
Before You begin to try, make possible to boot using another bootable media, it gives You possibility to rename bootmgr.bak to bootmgr if it is needed. In case, if pc do not start in new way. If it starts, then is everything done and You can to with the Vista what ever You want.

Please give feedback, i'll stay wait.

PS. bootmgr is hidden on C

Edited by kaljukass, 11 September 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#7 2Tired2Tango

2Tired2Tango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hi Kal. I actually got it solved about 30 minutes ago so no need to try your option but thanks anyways.

Because i downloaded win7 in iso format i didnt have the dvd but i search online and was able to download and make a bootable dvd version with the same system recovery options as the normal win7 installation dvd would have. I ran the system recovery options on that and it showed the bootmgr was missing and replaced it. rebooted and everything was great. It took about 15mins in all 

So i now have a fully funsctioning Win7 OS,, YAY .  And even better i now have gotten rid of vista YAY again.  

#8 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:59 AM

Fine. But what you did is basically the same as what I thought and recommended. There is not matter, where you got it, it is important, that it would be there.

Good luck to You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users