Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IT tips & tricks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 outrageous

outrageous

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

Hello guys i am 21 years old , and i am currently working in an IT company

i m pretty hyped with my profession and i am searching and learning new stuff every day

we deal with pretty basic stuff like setting up networks terminals access points servers pretty clean stuff

some of the most common things are like mapping a network , troubleshoot , computer errors as i said pretty basic stuff

i just want the help of the more experienced guys in the it field 

i know that you are gonna tell me "make google your best friend" and search it on you own i know guys but for example

if someone came to my job a more newbie i would definetely have 1 or 2 tips for him to make his life easier which is not on the books

so that is what want from you 

if there is anything ANYTHING that can make my life easier in a day of work some easier ways to do something anything that you held for your previous jobs 

that can help me is apprieciated 

i LITERALLY mean anyone that has an opinion on this should type an answer 

i m not talking anything specific but anything that when you learned it you said WOW IF KNEW THIS ALL ALONG MY LIFE WOULD BE MUCH EASIER

thanks in advance guys 

(sorry for bad english)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

"Keep it simple stupid" is the best advice I can give you, to tell others. Way too many times when first getting into the field we have a tendency to over think things.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

When I worked in Tier 1, one of the most useful things I learned where the Control Panel Links(CPL) you can enter direct into the Run command to bring up different options inside window. IE NCPA.CPL for Network Connections. Here is a list.

For other ideas, what kind of IT work do you do? Do you help employees with their computer? Or do you help customers? Is it basic stuff, or are you troubleshooting specific software?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

First seek to understand.  Never change something if you do not fully understand its function.

PING is your friend for network issues.  Is there a light on the ethernet adapter?  PING 127.0.0.1 (tells you if the IP stack is okay), PING the gateway IP, (tells you if you can reach the router), PING something not on the network (tells you if gateway router is working)

Never use DENY when setting up security access, if you don't have access DENY is automatic.  Setting DENY will cause more issues than it might ever solve.

Never accept that this is the way it has always been done.  Understand why it is down that way and look for ways to improve the process.  Do not become married to any process, things change and the process must change with them.

#5 outrageous

outrageous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

TRIKEIN i just found out what you are saying about 2 months ago and i was like yup thats something useful that will keep it simple 
thats what i am talking about

i deal mostly with hotels we setup their networks routers access points dedicated lines etc.

we deal with an open source web server called zeroshell 

we do all kind of stuff i just want your opinion on things ANYTHING !!
i know ping tracert how to map a network etc.
i would say i am on a medium level of knowledge but still i know very little compared to sys admin etc.

Edited by outrageous, 15 September 2016 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users