Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading All in One Samsung

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Igloo888

Igloo888

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

I have a DP700A3D all in one computer with the following specs:

i 53470T processor

Radeon 1GB 7690M graphics card

6GB RAM  DDR3 

750GB 5400rpm HD

Questions:

RAM:  The Samsung website says 8GB RAM max (two slots available), but a couple people suggest that it might actually take 2x8 total to 16GB.  Possible?

Graphics Card:  What would be the best graphics card to replace, if possible, on this machine?  Finding a lot of games and programs won't take this current card.

Hard Drive: This I think I have, want to buy a 1TB 2.5" seagate SSHD.  Cheap on Amazon with great reviews.   Should speed up boot time and daily tasks. 

Hoping for some direction.  I think the processor is ok?  But not even sure I can replace that :)

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

Hi

I will preface this by saying I have not seen this particular All In One. Based on experiences doing warranty and repair work on other brands of All In Ones in General there is not much of a upgrade path to them.

Things You can change.

1. Memory up to what the manufacturer supports, Beyond that at Your own risk. Mine has the same 8Gb Limitation. I knew the limitations when I bought it to fit a smallish space and only for Internet and Word Processing use.

2. Hard Drive. IMO bypass anything except a SSD for Speed. Having used all types I now use SSD boot Drives exclusively in the three Desktop and Two Laptops in the house, a Third laptop is IDE AKA PATA interface and not worth finding the rare SSD with that interface. The SSD drives have dropped in price nicely.

3. Display Adapters are built in with few exceptions.

Usually No way to Add anything to them if it can not be plugged into a USB port.

You will likely find that it uses a motherboard that is very similar to a laptop motherboard complete to Hard Drive size, Type of memory used and usually CPU.

One of the clues to the motherboard being more of a laptop type vs a Desktop is the Power supply wattage. From Here

It is a 90 watt. If I had to guess You also have a laptop type optical drive.

Thus the bottom line is You will not get a lot of games to run well on this computer. The Built in video being the main limiting factor. Other than for gaming it seems to be a nice computer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, sorry

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

I have worked on a few A-I-1s and they were created for users that have only basic computing needs. You can spend money attempting to upgrade, and find out that it really makes little difference in performance from stock setup. Plus...tearing into one of these is risky; in some ways they can be more of a pain than opening a laptop. Everything is so mashed together for compactness that there are no options..just not enough room. If Sammy is telling you that it maxes out at 8gigs, best to believe them.

Tread carefully if you open it up-damage one plastic part and you have a big problem.

it might actually take 2x8 total to 16GB.

You might consider the mainboard they are using; what is the manufacture and specs? What is the FSB rated at compared to the clock on the RAM? If one is lower than the other you have a bottleneck which will affect performance big time. If it has a separate video card I would be surprised, I suspect that the video is integrated onto the mainboard. Is there a PCIe slot for a separate vid card?

I think this is your mainboard, and I don't see a PCIe slot for a seperate vid card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50Z3U44777&cm_re=samsung_DP700A3D-_-9SIA50Z3U44777-_-Product

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Igloo888

Igloo888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

https://goo.gl/photos/bGEJcoR3pQTchBiCA

This is my motherboard.  Don't see the graphics card, so I assume there is no way to replace it.  I will be upgrading to an SSD shortly though. Next paycheck :)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

https://goo.gl/photos/bGEJcoR3pQTchBiCA

This is my motherboard.  Don't see the graphics card, so I assume there is no way to replace it.  I will be upgrading to an SSD shortly though. Next paycheck :)

Hi

That is more or less what laptop motherboards look like too. If that is a picture of the motherboard in You computer and not off of the internet You should look into cleaning the Cooling Fans and Heatsink. Just in case the Heatsink is the part with the 2 copper looking HeatPipes running to it.

If You are only looking to go to a SSD to speed up startup, shutdown and Program loading then that will help. It Will not help anything that the current graphics does not run however.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

I have worked on a few A-I-1s and they were created for users that have only basic computing needs. You can spend money attempting to upgrade, and find out that it really makes little difference in performance from stock setup. Plus...tearing into one of these is risky; in some ways they can be more of a pain than opening a laptop. Everything is so mashed together for compactness that there are no options..just not enough room. If Sammy is telling you that it maxes out at 8gigs, best to believe them.

Tread carefully if you open it up-damage one plastic part and you have a big problem.

it might actually take 2x8 total to 16GB.

You might consider the mainboard they are using; what is the manufacture and specs? What is the FSB rated at compared to the clock on the RAM? If one is lower than the other you have a bottleneck which will affect performance big time. If it has a separate video card I would be surprised, I suspect that the video is integrated onto the mainboard. Is there a PCIe slot for a separate vid card?

I think this is your mainboard, and I don't see a PCIe slot for a seperate vid card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50Z3U44777&cm_re=samsung_DP700A3D-_-9SIA50Z3U44777-_-Product

Hi Ranchhand

Those are exactly the reasons I bought a All In One for the one room. lack of space and no need for much performance. The main things I ended up changing were the amount of memory and switching to a SSD drive. I knew the limitations going in from having performed warranty work on them in a past job at a ASP. I also choose Lenovo as I could be sure to get the Service manual easily, The same reason I use a Toshiba Laptop, I was able to D/L the service manual from the technician support site. I picked it up pretty cheap fror the first owner after a Defective heat Pipe in the CPU cooling system killed the motherboard due to the user running it until a thermal shutdown from new instead of bringing it in for service when it would have been a easy fix :) I installed a new Mobo under warranty and a SSD and nice laptop. FWIW I had to replace a couple of Motherboards for the same issue, I suspected a Bad production run on the cooling assemblies.

Have a Nice Day

Roger

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2016 - 06:37 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users