Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Forgot My Windows 7 Password... No Reset Disk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 MaaD

MaaD

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

I forgot my windows 7 Password... How can I get in? I have not password reset disk. Also, I keep seeing these messages at start up and It takes awhile before I get to the login screen! Please help

Edited by MaaD, 10 September 2016 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

Ok, I was able to use a Password Reset  CD to "Add A User". I was able to get in but I can't do much cleaning, repairing and deleting of virus, unwanted programs, etc. I can't even change the Date and Time because I need Administration privileges. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

Use the guide here to enable the hidden Administrator Account.

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

Video

#4 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hey John,

Thank much

#5 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:39 PM

I did as instructed, but on rebooting, the Admin Username has "disappeared"

And now the "U" key on the keyboard is not working

Edited by MaaD, 10 September 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

Only enabling the Hidden Administrator Account, not a password reset, should not have affected the other username and the "U" key. I am not sure what happened. Do you have the Administrator Account?

#7 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hi John, I am not sure I understand, "Do you have the Administrator Account?" I can see the account that's admin in Control Panel> User Accounts, but  it's not on the start up screen when the computer is turned on

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

If the the steps in the guide were successful you would have seen an account called "Administrator" at the login screen. Something did not go right. Is there any admin account available that you can login to?

#9 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

I followed the steps in the guide to the letter and it indicates that the password was successfully changed.Well, that's the account that I can't remember the password for. This is what's shown at the login screen. I have tried some instructions from the internet to "enable administration account" but I got an "access denied" message.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

I think the issue is you have a fingerprint scanner that is required to login. Note: 

The guide I linked to does not change any password. It only enables the Administrator Account that is disabled by default. I am not sure what else to try. There is a way to enable the Administrator account by editing the registry offline using an install disk but if not done correctly things can go wrong. If you want to try this method then here is the link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

I see your links in the first post. You need to run chkdsk on the hard drive but I would highly recommend you back up any important data on the disk before doing so. Running chkdsk can make things worse depending on how much the file system is corrupted.

#11 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

I don't think that's the problem, it was there before I followed the instruction from the guide and changed the Admin password. It disappeared after I reboot at the end of the instructions. That link to use the registry requires the Windows 7 DVD. I don't have that. The computer is very slow now, I suspect because their are a few virus and unwanted programs. Unfortunately, I not able to remove or change anything because I need to be signed in as admin.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:15 AM

Most local computer fixit shops have a "legal hack or two" that sometimes can get you properly set up, admin accounts and all; however, you will need to bring in your proof of laptop purchase and maybe your proof of Windows purchase.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 September 2016 - 09:16 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thanks but I wouldn't know where to find those now.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

Using a Windows 7 System Repair Disk should also work instead of using an install disk. 

#15 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

I don't have a Windows 7 System Repair Disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users