Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Space Usage for System Restore - How much is enough?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Inset irises

Inset irises

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I have a 250gb hard drive with Disk Space Usage for System Restore currently set at 12%...

recommendations?

Thanks

Dave

XP Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

My suggestion would be to NOT count on System Restore for an unsupported O/S with any number of vulnerabilites...but to use any known software program to make and store routine backups of the system.

I believe that 3d-party software does a better job of being reliable...than the Windows SR function.  Just my opinion.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

What recommendations are you looking for? If you want to set SR Disk Storage at 12% that is fine; you could also lower it depending on how many restore points you feel comfortable with. I run XP Pro on a 120gig with SR storage set at 8%. All I use it for are a few games. Depends on if this is your main drive or not and what you use it for.

Edited by ranchhand_, 10 September 2016 - 02:44 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Inset irises

Inset irises
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

It's the only drive on my PC.  I was asking because the drive is filling up and

I saw that the slider was at the top of the range.

hamluis, are you talking about copying the entire contents of the drive to

a new drive with one of programs that does that (I don't recall the name,

but they all seem to have "chron" in the name.)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

All that I am saying...is that I consider Windows System Restore function...to be less-than-reliable as a backup mechanism.  Users gamble that it will work "properly" when they need it...some users don't realize that it is different from software which makes an image/backup of all files on the partitions designated.

FWIW

More If You Feel Like Really Understanding

Louis

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:40 AM

XP's system restore is not as sophisticated as Windows 7 and up and not as dependable. However, XP has a really great feature called Repair Reinstall, where you can use a retail XP system disk of your version of XP to do an extensive repair/restore of all registry and critical system files. In its heyday, I used it many times when major crashes rendered Windows inoperable, or even when I could boot into Windows but major features would not work. Why Microsoft did not incorporate that into later versions of Windows I have no idea-Even Windows 98 had a Repair Reinstall feature. Windows 7 has a watered-down version, but it can only be run from within Windows itself so if Windows7 cannot be booted you are out of luck.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

Rollback Rx will allow you to set your amount of space you use up with the snapshots; even with the free version. If you want an alternative to Windows System Restore that can manage space better I'd say yeah Rollback.

#8 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:42 AM

I use already for years = 0 bits

In fact, if I installed the first Windows 8, from that time it is so, because since then is such a thing meaningless waste.

Edited by kaljukass, 12 September 2016 - 07:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users