Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

Have a question which probably seems kinda stupid, I have backed up my drives before but never had to use it. I just backed up a Sandisk 500G SSD , Win.10 to a flash drive. In the case that I had to reset the drive to factory, will this backup re-install all the programs that were installed to the disk, and what is thre procedure for duing so, just boot from the flash drive? T.I.A.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

There's a difference between making a backup and making a disk image.

Typically a backup just copies your data and cannot be used to reinstall the operating system.

OTOH - a disk image is an exact copy of your hard drive at the time you make it.
So that can be copied back to your hard drive (using special software) in order to put your system back to the point it was in when you made the image.

For more detailed info and help with backups, please start a topic in the Backups/Images forum located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Edited by usasma, 10 September 2016 - 12:43 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Have a question which probably seems kinda stupid, I have backed up my drives before but never had to use it. I just backed up a Sandisk 500G SSD , Win.10 to a flash drive. In the case that I had to reset the drive to factory, will this backup re-install all the programs that were installed to the disk, and what is thre procedure for duing so, just boot from the flash drive? T.I.A.

How did you backup? What program did you use?

The only way you will be able to boot from the flash drive is if your back you did was actually cloning the drive...and assuming your computer can boot from a USB drive (not all can).

For most backup programs, to restore the backup you will either need to reinstall Windows, reinstall the backup program and then use the backup program to restore the backup OR use a bootable optical disk or USB drive with the backup program on it and then use the backup program to restore backup.

And last, it will depend on how the backup program works. Some backup programs are really only designed to backup files, not programs. If the backup program created an image, then you can restore that image which will include OS, the applications installed at the time, and any files you had on the drive at the time of the backup.

#4 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

How did you backup? What program did you use?

The only way you will be able to boot from the flash drive is if your back you did was actually cloning the drive...and assuming your computer can boot from a USB drive (not all can).

For most backup programs, to restore the backup you will either need to reinstall Windows, reinstall the backup program and then use the backup program to restore the backup OR use a bootable optical disk or USB drive with the backup program on it and then use the backup program to restore backup.

And last, it will depend on how the backup program works. Some backup programs are really only designed to backup files, not programs. If the backup program created an image, then you can restore that image which will include OS, the applications installed at the time, and any files you had on the drive at the time of the backup.

#5 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

I backed it up with Macrium

There's a difference between making a backup and making a disk image.

Typically a backup just copies your data and cannot be used to reinstall the operating system.

OTOH - a disk image is an exact copy of your hard drive at the time you make it.
So that can be copied back to your hard drive (using special software) in order to put your system back to the point it was in when you made the image.

For more detailed info and help with backups, please start a topic in the Backups/Images forum located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Thanks very much.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

Macrium Reflect has the option to make a disc you can boot and do a recovery.  Works well too.  To make it, click "Other tasks" -> Create Rescue Media.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 11 September 2016 - 03:40 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Thank you .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users