Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems with mozilla firefox not responding,slowing down etc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Allybee

Allybee

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

Hi,I use Windows 10 with mozilla firefox and for the past 3-4 months I have been having recurring problems with mozilla not responding and being really slow,hanging etc.

I have tried refreshing etc. to no avail....I have managed a couple of times to get it back working reasonably well then the same problem starts up again and I keep forgetting how I managed to fix it.

I have used other browsers in the past such as chrome and opera but have always went back to firefox and was thinking about trying a different browser again and so installed pale moon but I can't import my bookmarks and passwords to it.

I am not sure wether to persevere with firefox or try another browser as I am getting fed up with the slowdown problem.

Can someone tell me what other browsers other than chrome and opera to try out and what should I try in order to fix the problems in firefox?

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2016 - 10:35 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

How do you typically remove obsolete files from the user's profile folder? I mean, cache files, old and/or damaged .sqlite files, session backups, downloaded websites, crash reports, old dump files, minidumps,  etc.. Perhaps there is so much rubbish and damaged files so that they impede the normal operation?

For example the Firefox default enabled cache size is 358400 bytes, if You don't delete them, then Firefox cannot work any way, because it don't delete them itself and also will not over write nothing. User simply must empty this folder.

If You run regularly for example CCleaner, then it cleans what is primary necessary.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hi:

Most issues with Firefox originate in the user's profile, not in the program itself.

There are other, system issues (such as slow internet speed, security software conflicts, hardware issues) that will not be fixed by switching to a different browser.

Here are two tutorials for troubleshooting Firefox performance.

The steps are largely the same, explained a bit differently and in different sequence.

But they both outline a logical, step-wise process, ranging from "reversible" steps (such as Mozilla Safe Mode) to creating a whole new profile.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/fix-problems/slowness-or-hanging

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

#4 Allybee

Allybee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hi,I done a scan with drweb cure it the other day and it found something in the temp folder which it neutralized and so far firefox is back up to speed so it must have been malware related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users