Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DV7 Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 navincoolguy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

I have hp dv7 dx-3065 17.5" screen laptop. AMD turionII with nvidia graphics chip. Using since 2009, always heats up too much but no issues with any hardware or s/w. Recently i had problems with the display it gone blank (after some jerks in a long journey with thermal temperature variations from hot environ to ac) In the boot the leds light up but the screen always blank. so i took to a local laptop repair, he told me its the classic problem with nvidia graphic chip. he applied hot air gun to graphic chip n done a temp fix .. it lasted for some 1 month now again the screen gone blank, by now i read a home fix on internet, by self heating the laptop by wrapping in bubble wrap plastic sheets, i did it some 4 to 5 times whenever the problem recurred in a week span. one day, after this self heating, the display worked but the black colour has changed to bright red.. I run the hp support assistant program advised to do this:1. to reset the BIOS setting to original, done that momentarily solved the read colour issue but within a few minutes, the black colur is back to red! 2. flashed the ROM BIOS specific to my laptop by downloading from hp support and 3. reinstalled the graphics drivers, updated them to latest. Still the problem persists
 I read on internet to try connecting a desktop monitor in parallel to laptop, the monitor shows perfect colours!! but after some time the problem comes back!
then i reheated it by self heating, the same technique which gave arise to this problem, and i was surprised the problem gone but not forever only as long as the motherboard is hot, upon cooling gradually the problem is back. so now again i tried reheating , whenevr i reheat the laptop by closing the vents, the screen returns back to proper colours but once it cools off after a few hours / mins the problem is back!!
where exactly is the problem? is it the nvidia chip reballing issue or the display cable loose?
if i go for reballing the nvidia chip will it solve the issue permanently? are there any risks with the reballing, can it permanently make the mother board dead?

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2016 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

• 55,008 posts
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
     Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

#3 rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

I'm working from memory here, However as Your local laptop repair stated. This is a classic Video Chip issue. This problem is usually seen in laptops with a AMD CPU due to the higher temperatures shortening the time to failure. In the past when I worked in a repair facility I tried most of the common solutions as You have already done. As You have found out the Heat Gun along with the other solutions suggested on the Internet are at best temporary. The Problem may disappear if You get the Motherboard hot enough that thermal expansion makes the broken connection(s), however as You can see when it cools off the problem will reoccur.

Three maybe four solutions come to mind.

1.Replace the motherboard with a New Motherboard. Avoid Used or Refurbished Motherboards, the problem will be back.

2. Have the Motherboard repaired by a professional that actually removes the Chip, applies new solder balls and reattaches it. This is not foolproof as some of the Nvidia chips had internal problems that also caused the same symptoms as a bad motherboard connection.

3. A new Laptop.

This is Number 4.

Please Note that some people have been able to remove the chip and reball and reinstall it too. Here is a YouTube Link demonstrating that. I do not have the patience to do it.

I wish I could give You better news. This information is based on having worked at a Authorized Service Provider for two other computer brands as well as general repair.

FWIW this was not  only a HP problem it.

Good Luck

Hi Louis

Edited by rotor123, 10 September 2016 - 04:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users