Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Panasonic CF-51 Toughbook, native USB support in DOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

I've been buying some older computers off Ebay to develop code for embedded systems running real-mode DOS. The embedded  controller boots and runs off of USB devices, comes with FreeDOS and will run DOS 7.1. 

The Panasonic CF-51 toughbooks provide the same feature, and have IDE drives. SO- I can boot into the same OS as the embedded controllers, write and test code, use a regular Copy to load new software onto a CF card or SD card to run on the embedded controller. Saves a step up dual-booting into XP to get USB devices to work, as is done on most other computers. Load Himem.sys to access more than 64MBytes using extenders. PharLap has no problem with 1GByte, the embedded controllers typically have 256MBytes.

ANYWAY! If anyone is using the ICOP or PC104 embedded systems, this might help. The CF-51 runs well under $100 (usually $50) used.

Edited by BrianVS, 10 September 2016 - 07:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

You know from my generation I am the later of the ilk.  I would call embedded systems with real mode DOS... a virtual bot.  I mean it is cool to have MANY 16bit virtual bots in a "super computer".  A cool bot farm to maintain.  I mean virtual machines for 16 bit systems are so overlooked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users