Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office updates sting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:15 AM

Hi. I've heard from one of our teachers that our university had added a "sting" Windows Update to our machine, that if the update was downloaded and installed using IP range that's not on the university's range. The license on that computer will be revoked to prevent product key leakage. Is this really possible?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

They'd have to push the update out using WSUS or SCCM. Not sure how anyone would be able to download that update if the computer isn't on a university subnet, unless they made their update server available to clients across the Internet.

And if a student was using their own computer, rather than one provided by the university, they probably wouldn't be configured to get their updates from the university's update server.

Just my thoughts...

#3 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:11 PM

And if a student was using their own computer, rather than one provided by the university, they probably wouldn't be configured to get their updates from the university's update server.

Just my thoughts...

This is what I'm thinking... I believed the reason my office has problem last time is because of that key is revoked for everyone.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users