Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a free firewall that is reliable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArunAnbalagan

ArunAnbalagan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:15 AM

Hi, I need a firewall software which will block social websites and shopping websites for our small scale industry. previously i had a centos configured firewall with linux ubuntu server, due to the on board lan failure and the pci slot too failed i am unable to use the lan port or the pci add on port to configure back my firewall through the same. So i planned to manually install a firewall software in all pc to block internet usage, any suggestions kindly let me know. I have already used zone alarm and comodo softwares but not happy with those. As i am a newbie with this kindly help me with procedures. I want to access lan connected to my linux  server and only need to block the above mentioned websites other than that i need internet connection for our outlookmail, kindly let me know how to configure so. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Since this is for a small scale industry, it would be better to replace the faulty board and get your CentOS configured firewall back up and running. It'll be way easier for you to block websites that way, rather than installing and maintaining a firewall on every single computers (as the protection could be easily bypassed).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

I would use a old PC and install IPCop, then use proxy and configure it to filter the list you supply, it will then block access to them sites.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

You could also look at Untangle.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:12 AM

You could also add open DNS to your router and then you'd be able to create your own custom block list, Of course you'd still need a firewall. 

#6 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

I would definitely recommend a site firewall over trying to install and configure something on every PC. Either repair your current PC, or find some other hardware to re-purpose. My personal recommendation would be to look at PFsense, but there are a ton of free and open source options out there.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

Agreed with all, a $100 beater box used computer with twin hardware lan cars is dirt cheap and remake your ege-firewall, i find p4 3000mgz PCs or AMD k7 2400mgz pcs 1gig ram in trash cans on the side of the road offten, sometimes i find better.

as well a T100 old stile lan card is still 100Mbps so should be fine speed wise, i tend to like the old hardware 3com cards my self.

And as meny pointed out you have options when it comes to ege-firewalls/router setups for older computers in linux, and from my reserch meny are as good or better then $1000 hardware firewalls and way cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users