Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peek an animated GIF Screen Recorder

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:05 PM

Here's something I came across today on Google+, its called Peek and its an animated GIF screen recorder it looks very cool and it should make the process of making animated GIFs very simple.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/peek-desktop-gif-screen-recorder-linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:10 AM

sxV6toO.gif

Cool. I would have tried under Ubuntu Gnome since it's targetting the Gnome desktop environment, but I don't have that ISO, so I used Ubuntu Desktop. It does seem to work under Unity, but it doesn't work under LXDE.

It took me a while to figure it out. When you click "stop" it just sits there for a bit, but it's actually doing stuff. If your video is small it will only take a few seconds. I did this in a VM (not ideal for video conversion) so it kept freezing until I tried making a smaller shorter gif :P. It defaults to ~/Videos but will prompt for a save location.

Install Peek On Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop AMD64:

Always use caution when installing software from outside the default repos, especially if it's not well known to the community.

cd ~/Downloads && wget "https://github.com/phw/peek/releases/download/v0.7.2/peek-0.7.2-Linux.deb" && cd -

cmp <(cat ~/Downloads/peek-0.7.2-Linux.deb | sha512sum) <(echo "4d17281792196c8ce3dc1682a5443f5a7ca6768af44c517914bba5c8f73215ef903c742f8e0ae1bb351d0c85f2bf1da50882093ac53c13658f7162e36738c3be  -")
(Optional. Empty output means checksums match. Alternatively you can check for an exit status of zero.)

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/peek-0.7.2-Linux.deb

rm ~/Downloads/peek-0.7.2-Linux.deb
(Optional. Deletes the download.)

sudo apt-get clean
(Optional. Cleans your apt cache.)

Uninstall Peek From Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop AMD64:

sudo apt-get purge peek

#3 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

Use recordmydesktop or other screen capture (SSR .... whatever) to record all or part of your desktop

Load that file into Openshot and use Export Video, Advanced, Advanced Options, Export To and set that to Image Sequence ... and save all of the images to a new/empty folder

Open that image content folder and arrange your filemanager window to be sorted by name, showing perhaps 4 columns wide of filenames. Drag from the top of the 2nd column all the way down to the bottom 4th column to highlight three-quarters of the files and delete those i.e. remove the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in every 4 to leave just one quarter of files remaining.

In GIMP Open, Layers ... and open up that folder of images. Perhaps resize image, maybe even reduce the colour depth ...etc ... and then save as gif and check the animated option.

kde_iloveimg_compressed.gif

Of course you could refine that to perhaps set recordmydesktop to just record part of the screen.

Running that final gif file through a online animated gif compressor such as http://www.iloveimg.com/compress-image/compress-gif helps reduce down the filesize further (at the expense of image quality) The attached is around 10% of its 'non compressed' animated gif filesize (80K instead of 800K).

That desktop by the way is my Debian Jessie (stable) KDE with the Plasma 5 desktop set to have a bottom left hot corner. Mouse into that and its set to present all windows (I've opted more recently to use that choice instead of the 3D model type desktop cube switcher)

Edited by rufwoof, 11 September 2016 - 03:42 PM.

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system sshfs mounts my android phone (SSHelper app installed on phone).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

Thanks guys, will have to try them out!

I wonder which one will be best/easiest to use?

Do like the idea of "recordmydesktop" because it is in Software Manager, any more advise on which to use would be great.

If recordmydesktop is used, should I just install the Graphical frontend for recordmydesktop screencast tool, as that will also install the recordmydesktop?

Maybe this is a little off Topic? but it would be nice to make vids to help memebers.

Edited by pcpunk, 11 September 2016 - 04:41 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

If recordmydesktop is used, should I just install the Graphical frontend for recordmydesktop screencast tool, as that will also install the recordmydesktop?

I always install the gtk gui/front end as well. In settings, Sound, device I always change the DEFAULT (upper case) to default (lower case) as you can hit problems if left as uppercase.

For openshot, the full install also ideally requires blender (for 3D titles) and inkscape to be installed. I tend to also add audacity (sound editor) to that set for a overall more complete kit. With audacity you can highlight a bit of quiet/background noise track, and 'noise sample' that, and then highlight the entire track and apply noise reduction. That nicely cleans up sound to exclude wind blowing or computer whirring noises. You can also amplify or attenuate the sound to make it a more acceptable level. Then drop the sound back into Openshot and turn the sound off on the video track, video off on the sound track and align the two before exporting to a mp4 or whatever. Handy to include a clapper board or even just a video shot of your hands making a single clap at the start of a video production as that makes it easier to align sound with video. Then when aligned you can cut out that unwanted clapper action from the final production.

Animated gifs tend to expand in filesize quickly. mp4 or suchlike is better. Being able to edit frames/sections is also better than just a fixed recording that I suspect (don't know for sure) occurs with Peek.

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

@ rufwoof, thanks will give it a try.  Don't have a Microphone but need to get one for this.  Will this work on my HP Laptop in my Signature?  It's old and don't know if the Graphics are up to this task?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:03 AM

Thanks rufwoof I didn't know that Simple Screen Recorder could record animated GIFs. :thumbup2:

#8 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:13 AM

@pcpunk : should work ok. Some months back my 64 bit died and I reverted to a older Celeron 32 bit 2GB single core and that worked fine, albeit slower at rendering/saving images in Openshot.

@SuperSapien64 : its not recordmydesktop or SSR that saves as a animated gif, they're just a means to get a video (at least I don't think SSR has a animated gif option) for Openshot to work with. Its Openshot video editor that separates out the video recorded into separate images, and the GIMP image manipulation program that combines all of those images (layers) into a single animated gif file.

Whilst more involved than Peek (more different programs involved), knowing how to do it that more involved way has the added benefit of being more flexible, such as being able to edit the video sequence in Openshot first, perhaps adding titles etc, or fade in/out transitions.

Another useful tool is Libre Office Presentation program in which you can add animation effects and preview those. If you set record my desktop to capture the preview window area then you can record that effect ... to then later turn that into a animated gif or whatever using the method I outlined earlier.

In Libre Presentation open a new slide and add something like a image of a smiley. Using Slide Show, Custom Animation option - select the smiley so it has the four green spot corners around it and click the + (to add) a effect. Select maybe Motion Path from the window that pops up and the Freeform Line sub-option within that, then use your mouse to draw a motion path (maybe a series of spiral circles from the smiley around the screen). Then back in the Custom Animation popout select a speed of perhaps Medium or Slow and then press the play button to view the smiley move through that motion path. There are loads of alternative choices to animation effects to choose from.

smiley_iloveimg_compressed.gif

Edited by rufwoof, 12 September 2016 - 04:31 AM.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

Nice, one, rufwoof!

I haven't yet used LibreOffice Impress, but from the sound of things it's similar to M$'s 'Powerpoint'.....and I haven't used that since I did my IT certification better than 13 years ago now.

I have what's called an ECDL; a 'European Computer Driving Licence'. Seriously!!

uZymtA1.png

bdFhpQS.png

It's comical, really. You have this thing, and you're in the position of being able, if somebody's got a problem, to say (with all sincerity!), 'Let me through! I'm an expert..!'  :P  :lol:

As I recall, it was PowerPoint that took the biggest part of 'getting my head around it'.....but it was this period that really got me started in terms of graphical 'messing-around' & experimentation.

I've never looked back since. It's mainly been static stuff with me; still images, etc. I've experimented with GIFs, but haven't been very successful, and the most I've done with videos is to use Avidemux to chop sections out of longer vids. That's about it, really. I've never been able yet to figure out exactly how OpenShot actually works...!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 September 2016 - 06:11 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

There is a topic here someplace please stick to it.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

Sorry, Nick.....  :blush:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users