Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc wont start after new psu when sata power plugged to PSU

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MadAlucard

MadAlucard

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

Hi everyone,
So my computer always performed like a beast (i7 4770k Maximus Hero VI sapphire tri-x 290 8 go GSkill 2400 Mhz PSU XFX 850 pro Modular) until today, everything was running fine then i heard a *Boom*, electricity went out of the sector, i got it back then my computer didnt wanna start again, so i guessed the PSU was bleeped, then i could manage to get another PSU, a Corsaire 850, i managed to change them,then the pc started fine with the motherboard, the cpu and graphic card alimented by the PSU,but as soon as i try plugging a sata power to my PSU the computer just wont start, the lights goes on for a sec and the fan start turning then stops.

I tried every single port of the PSU, i changed the cables,everything but nothing, not to mention i once tried to plug it directely to the PSU while the computers running and one of the sata port started to smoke so i shut the computer down.

Any idea?help?Advice? Do i need to try a different PSU ?(i will need to buy one.....) is it a problem with the sata that prevents the computer to get power?

Please help, i am going nuts and this bleep is my life :(
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

How many SATA devices are in the system? When the original PSU failed it probably damaged one or more SATA drives. I have seen this happen before. Make sure you are using the correct modular cables for that PSU, don't use any that have smoked, then make the power connection to each SATA device one at a time in turn until you find one or more that stops the system from powering up. Any that prevent booting will also need replacement.

Edited by Platypus, 09 September 2016 - 06:54 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

I have tried every Sata port it wont start, as soon as i plug the sata cable of any hdd or ssd in the motherboard it wont turn on....

#4 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

I have 2 drives, but i have tried others that werent connected when the blew happened

#5 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

Are the Sata Power cables different from one Psu to another? Like delivers different voltage? Because i am using the old ones that were in the Psu that blewed up

#6 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

Now the computer starts with Sata pligged but they smoke and start bleweing and i have to turn it off before it takes fire, like the sata port are overpowered

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:09 PM

No, more like the SATA drive is shorted.  The drive mechanism may be intact but the control circuits are toasted.  A like drive with the same control card aboard would effect a repair and recover the data on the drive.  Power outages can severely damage semiconductors, no rhyme or reason for what fails but they do not like having power interrupted.

#8 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

It fails even with a dvd drive plugged with sata, which wasnt plugged when the old Psu blewed, so its definitely not coming from the drives but motherboard or Psu

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

This link may tell you more about SATA connectors than you ever wanted to know, if it doesn't open at SATA power cables either select that from the menu or scroll down -

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#sata

The only difference I can see between old and new cables is that for full implementation they should have the ORANGE cable which carries a +3.3V rail. I have to say I agree with Platypus' advice that any cable which has smoked should be binned and a new replacement fitted.

If I understand you correctly, it is the SATA power leads which are causing your problems. If you are using a cable which has never to date 'smoked' then the problem has to be at one end or other. Either the PSU you are using is faulty or the device you have the power lead plugged into has developed a short circuit. The best thing to do probably is to test the voltages on the device end of one of your SATA power leads. You will need a multi-meter with a fairly fine probe to do this. You say your computer will start running without any hard drives connected, that is when to test the voltages which you can get from my link.

PSUs are fairly clever devices, if they detect an overload on any of their outputs they will normally shut down completely, to prevent any further damage so the first thing to do is to check these output voltages. I fear that this power surge has done a lot of damage to your computer, it may be time to talk to your house insurers if this took place at home.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:51 AM

Are the Sata Power cables different from one Psu to another? Like delivers different voltage? Because i am using the old ones that were in the Psu that blewed up

It's possible they could be different. Always use cables provided with the PSU by the manufacturer.

I've just noticed you said the SATA port smoked when you connected while the PSU was powered up. If the PSUs use a different wiring sequence on their SATA power outputs, the SATA controller may have been damaged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2z7yko/psa_dont_reuse_another_modular_psu_manufacturers/?st=isybd1c9&sh=a58e386b

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for trying to help me !
I did manage to get the Psu cables,the ones that came with the psu, not mine, and it indeed worked ! I never knew that different Psu can have diferrent cables even if both are 850 w and have the same pins....it seems the voltage on the cables is different.

Sadly it blew up one of my Hdd,the one containing my whole lifetime data, i took it to a repairman said he would check the circuit...i hope he gets it to power up again (a seagate 2TB) or i will have to look for one that is exactely the same and swith the circuits.

Now what is weird is that my Ssd wont boot, its still working cuz i managed to mount it on Ubuntu, i could also backup the data, i tried to fresh install windows but each time after i finish formating and installing windows it gives me the "A disk read error occured" and i cant boot.... I am trying to figure this out :(

#12 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:01 PM

It seems i cant boot on AHCI anymore,windows managed to load only when i switched to IDE in the Mobo...

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Sounds like besides the drive taking a hit, the MOBO sounds like it has seen an overvoltage and some stages aren't working properly.  I love the smell of toasted circuits in the morning,  like the smell of popcorn at the big screen.

#14 MadAlucard

MadAlucard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

So no solution? I need to stay on IDE? :(

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

I hate being a pessimist but I think your solution is not to 'stay on IDE' but to get a new mobo. The problem here appears to be that when the power went out it created a voltage surge which is what damaged your computer.

It is not just switching power on that creates a voltage surge, which it does, but switching power off also creates one. And the more violent and sudden the switch-off, the greater the surge. And if the surge gets through the filters in the power supply there is virtually no protection on mobos, and semi-conductors really don't like over voltage.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users