Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP service packs available for anyone that needs them...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

Evening, all.

Following official advice earlier this evening that certain of the Forum rules have recently been reviewed, that XP is now considered 'abandonware', and that links to any software for it stored on file-sharing sites is now permitted, I'm going to re-state my offer of availability for anyone who wants, or still needs,  any of the 3 XP Service Packs (SP1, SP2, and SP3).

Please do very strongly bear in mind that this software is now totally unsupported. You use it entirely at your own risk. Please also bear in mind that since these are not coming from Microsoft's servers, you do not need to run IE8 to download them.....and frankly, that would really not be advisable in the modern web 'climate'.

Having said that, a little bit of detail:-

These were all originally genuine Microsoft downloads of the standalone Network Administrator type, and were archived for many years on good-quality CDs. Around 6 months ago, after reading on BC, and in a few other respectable forums, that many people still appear to want them, believing that they would be available for ever (and realising that the XP 'holdout' cohorts are still fairly numerous!), I decided to upload these to my Google Drive, and make them publicly available.

If you decide to avail yourself of any of the three Service Packs, please do observe the usual precautions:-

1) Download to your desktop (and only your desktop) first.

2) Scan with a good anti-virus scanner.

3) Scan with a good anti-malware scanner.

Only when you have assured yourself, as far as is humanly possible, that the software is what it should be, should you consider it safe to use.

When they left my Puppy Linux server all those months ago, they were totally clean.....but I can't be held responsible for what may have happened to them in the meantime. So please; excercise utmost caution with them.

No 'nasties', I guarantee.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8qZGvx85BR8Vk1YenNhOHBfc28&usp=sharing

Enjoy.

Mike.  :wink:

(Mods; If the advice I received earlier this evening is still not 'kosher', then please feel free to remove this post.....again.)  :thumbup2:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 September 2016 - 07:39 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

Thankyou- I downloaded the file, and ran a "FC/B" on it with another that I downloaded from a site a while ago. No differences found, Virus Scanner was happy.

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:50 AM

You're very welcome, Brian.

I have some other rather 'esoteric' graphics programs, and various bits'n'bobs for XP that I may put up for general availability. I collected rather a lot of stuff during the 14 1/2 years I ran it..!

It would seem to me to make sense to make such stuff centrally available through a respected forum like BC, given that the rules for this particular OS have now been reviewed. BC does have a huge membership.....and it would save folks having to search around the web to find things (with the attendant risks inherent in such an activity). Plus, of course, it has the advantage of being thoroughly 'road-tested' on a day-to-day basis over the passage of time; the stuff I have is all fully functional, and all works correctly, as it should.

If it hadn't, it wouldn't have been archived in the first place. I wouldn't be averse to putting my copy of Adobe's Photoshop CS2 up for download (elderly, but still pretty powerful), but I don't somehow think Adobe would be too happy about that.....even though the activation servers have been offline for well over two years now. It is, after all, still their intellectual property.....as is XP itself still Microsoft's.

I've more than had my 'money's-worth' out of it after all this time.....and it's still a very good introduction to just what's possible with a powerful 'raster graphics' editor. Ah, well.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 September 2016 - 02:39 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

CS2 was made available for download by Adobe, and a "general license" published for activation. I started with Photoshop 3.0 and stopped at 7.0. The license server was taken off-line due to some "bug" that could not be corrected, running 7.0 was affected. I started using CS2 with the universal key afterwards.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

CS2 was made available for download by Adobe, and a "general license" published for activation. I started with Photoshop 3.0 and stopped at 7.0. The license server was taken off-line due to some "bug" that could not be corrected, running 7.0 was affected. I started using CS2 with the universal key afterwards.

Mm. I had heard about the general 'free-for-all' about two years back, now; something to do with creating an Adobe account, then making out like you were a professional who'd mislaid their install media.....and wanted to re-download. It amused me at the time that they even provided a general-use activation key that would activate all copies of this download.....

I've used CS2 for almost a decade; and despite all the updated versions (which I've tried), it still does everything I want it to. I must be unusual, though, because I've also been using the GIMP for several years, and find absolutely no problem with switching back & forth between the two; they each possess certain unique features that the other one lacks.

Although there's no getting away from the fact that the GIMP works far better in its native Linux than it ever did in XP.....and even though I no longer run XP, I have CS2 running 100% perfectly under WINE in Puppy Linux. Strangely, it seems to run faster, too...  :scratchhead:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 September 2016 - 02:51 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

Offering the service packs  on DropBox for download is nice.

I just wanted to add that all XP service packs are still available on the Windows Update Catalog page but you do need IE to download them. 

For anybody that would also like to have a XP SP3 recovery disk you can get the iso here

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

Offering the service packs  on DropBox for download is nice.

I just wanted to add that all XP service packs are still available on the Windows Update Catalog page but you do need IE to download them. 

For anybody that would also like to have a XP SP3 recovery disk you can get the iso here

Hi, John.

Like I said, IE8 is a very bad idea, nowadays. This way, you can use a modern browser, in a far more secure OS, to download them.....and since these are the standalone type, it's just a rather large single file to transfer to your XP box. Which was what I liked about them all those years ago. Or even download them with the 'wget' mechanism in Linux; it doesn't matter how it's done, as long as the end result is achieved.....securely, of course!

Anyways, there they are, for anyone who wants them. I enjoyed XP for several years, but we all know what a difference the Service Packs made (especially SP3)!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 September 2016 - 02:50 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 sdfox 7

sdfox 7

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

I have noted in various websites, that the service packs have been archived by the Internet Archive, aka WayBack Machine.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=408344#p408344

I have also created webpages that download the service packs automatically after 5 seconds.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=408366#p408366

IBM ThinkPad 600E 2645-8AU (Win98), T23 2647-4MU (Win2000), T41 2373-7FU (WinXP)
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

Well, my view is this; the more alternate sources, the better. I realise that the WayBack Machine is bucking to be the place to go for all old software (and I think it's an excellent idea, too.....especially for 'abandonware') but it never hurts to have a choice. I'm not attempting to work against them, either; just providing more choice, from an easy to access location.

The decision, of course, is entirely up to the individual.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 September 2016 - 03:11 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users