Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing MSE/Endpoint

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The_Tech_Gods

The_Tech_Gods

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504107/cannot-disable-or-delete-microsoft-system-center-2012-endpoint-protection/ - Hamluis.

For the record, it doesn't help push the IT world forward much to say, "You're not supposed to remove it," when there are plenty of valid reasons to do so. Pretty much every search for this comes up with the same answers.... People asking how to remove it, and being told they shouldn't. I understand that, on a case by case basis, there are reasons not to tell someone, I get that -- it just doesn't help build a knowledge base at all.

Here's an example. I'm a professional tech and owner of a consulting firm, and I was brought in to a new client that has this System Center Endpoint Protection on all their systems. They threw out the old IT company, and this particular software is probably part of the reason. The lowest number of infections I found on the systems here was 46, with some of the systems well over 1000 -- all running this software, so obviously it's pretty worthless software in 2016. (Truth be told it's been a few years since Security Essentials/System Center got the job done.) So that said, any suggestions on how to force-remove this software? I'm currently getting a 0x8004FF80. Googling that brings me to inactive Microsoft pages that say, "There used to be an answer here that worked, but we don't support it anymore so we deleted it." Maybe not quite as helpful as it could be, but right on target for Microsoft error messages. ;-)

These are not domain machines, there's no server on-site, so AD/Group Policy stuff is out.

(By the way, as I type this, 2 users are reading the topic -- I might be one of those, but that still means two people are looking at this thread from 2013, which means it's probably important information to have out there in the world.)

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2016 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Tech_Gods

The_Tech_Gods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Since posting I've managed to remove it successfully on about half the machines -- the other half give the same error. I'm starting to get the feeling (which no one here can confirm) that prior to a recent sale they had a server on site, and it was removed in the sale and these were converted to Workgroup machines. 

So I think my error is related to a "missing" server. 

Thankfully, the AV I'm installing plays well with others, so if we can't remove it, at least it will have the added protection of an antivirus that actually WORKS, since this one doesn't. LOL

Still hoping for a valid answer at some point, though.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Not sure it will help or if this is the method you previously used to uninstall.

http://mutterances.com/cant-remove-system-center-2012-endpoint-protection-client-it-just-keeps-reinstalling/

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

If you cannot find an answer, support for Microsoft Products is provided by the Microsoft Community Forums
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users